• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When is D&D Insider actually launching?

renau1g

First Post
I guess the title explains most of it, but my group was really excited when we got our core books and it was explaining that they could "see" their character with the visualizer and so we followed the site from the back of the PHB. To our surprse it's Coming Soon... WTF? You advertise at the time of print and then don't have it ready over a month after the books are released?

This is why I can see many people upset at WOTC... I'm used to this stuff happening with computer games (promise everything then cut it out), but they had the ads in the back of the book....

So does anyone know when/if anything is coming out????

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I guess the title explains most of it, but my group was really excited when we got our core books and it was explaining that they could "see" their character with the visualizer and so we followed the site from the back of the PHB. To our surprse it's Coming Soon... WTF? You advertise at the time of print and then don't have it ready over a month after the books are released?

This is why I can see many people upset at WOTC... I'm used to this stuff happening with computer games (promise everything then cut it out), but they had the ads in the back of the book....

So does anyone know when/if anything is coming out????

My guess is never. In about a year or so some aspects of the DDI will be released but they will be substandard and quickly forgotten.

I was just wondering if they've acknowledged it or if they're just ignoring it?

I believe they have come out with a statement saying that they will be rolling out various features of the DDI over the course of the next year or so. Whether it happens or not is anyones guess, but I think there has been a sufficient enough response for them to think that it is worth doing, especially since it is a subscription service.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
...especially since it is a subscription service.

WARNING: RANT MODE INITIATED

Anyone who gives WOTC one red cent for this "service" an overly optimistic fool. WOTC has failed at every single attempt at co-marketing a software product along side its physical product.

And so far, they have given us absolutely zero reason to believe this time will be any different.

In fact, all they have done thus far is hint at another spectacular failure.

I fully expect the whole idea to be discarded within a year. At best we'll get some lousy "amateur effort" that is quickly swept under the rug.

I put "amateur" in quotes simply because I've seem amateurs do a much better job.

WARNING: RANT MODE INITIATED

Anyone who gives WOTC one red cent for this "service" an overly optimistic fool. WOTC has failed at every single attempt at co-marketing a software product along side its physical product.

Was there another software product besides Master Tools? Does Neverwinter Nights count?

I don't know, maybe I am an "optomistic fool", but I don't think one failure means they can never have a success ever again. I'll prefer to wait and see.

Xyxox

Hero
WOTC has failed at every single attempt at co-marketing a software product along side its physical product.

The Core Rules 2 CD-ROM with the Expansion CD add-on was absolutely wonderful. Of course, right after they got the software right for 2E, they announced 3E.

Remove ads