• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When it gets expensive!

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Well. This month I find that I am going to have not only Four Dungeons and Dragons books to purchase, I also have the new Castle Ravenloft, the new Advanced Players Guide for Pathfinder, the new expansion for Thunderstone and the four boosters for Heroscape - all of which are coming out in August. Never before have I had to contemplate delaying my purchases to wrangle my finances as I have had to do this month.

It is most likely that most of the members here at EnWorld are collectors of more than one game, do you find that you have a particular month in the year when you just have to say - "Ouch - I am going to delay this one."?

Just a curious question as I try to figure out how to get this stuff asap while still keeping my openly critical wife happy with the drain on our finances.

pawsplay

Hero
I've learned from hard experience that if you don't buy the games when they are available, they become that much more expensive later on. So I usually buy more specialty games right away, and I am always quick to snap up used games when I see them. However, my budget is very limited, and sometims hard choices have to be made.

Personally, I've been waiting to purchase Hero Sixth Edition for months. Between the new Pathfinder releases, Wild Talents, Fantasy Craft, and finally getting GURPS Space used in hardback, I'm pretty drained.

JustKim

First Post
I felt relieved by the slow pace of 4E books up to this point, and the bargain of DDI, because I have always spent a lot of money on D&D and other RPGs. Now, of course, those other RPGs are either dead or only able to publish a book every 6 months, which is great for my budget!

Hobbies are just expensive. My SO is getting back into painting, and when you paint seriously, it is a bottomless pit in terms of money. On the plus side, it makes the money I spend on hobbies seem pretty reasonable.

Scribble

First Post
Hobbies are just expensive. My SO is getting back into painting, and when you paint seriously, it is a bottomless pit in terms of money. On the plus side, it makes the money I spend on hobbies seem pretty reasonable.

Hah- my wife just got into jewelery making... Every time she goes into the bead store, she comes out with about 100.00 worth of stuff... She also likes to bake, and like make things like cards and such...

It's nice having a wife with hobbies... Makes justifying your own expensive hobbies easy! :D

Herschel

Adventurer
I know the feeling some times. Even in a position with a decent disposable income life has a way of being expensive.

Last edited:

Nadaka

First Post
Don't. Just hold off a bit. I know it can be an obsession, but it is ok to put a few things off until you are in a better position.

Festivus

First Post
It can be tough. I wanted to get the Ravenloft board game but it's too pricey for my budget. I'll wait and see if it appears in the used board games section down the road, that's how I buy almost all my board games (Formula D, Talisman 4E Revised, Pandemic, even Bang! all bought at a steep discount).

I buy video games used too. Amazing bargains can be found if you just wait a year or two.

Ask yourself this... do I really need this right now for my game? In the D&D world, the major publisher stuff will be out there for years. The smaller print run items could probably wait. So unless you are launching a 4E Dark Sun campaign in the next few months, perhaps it could wait?

Even miniatures I usually buy used... with one exception I go to the bits box or buy individual plastic ones that I need for something coming up.

There are only a few things I am buying new right now... Star Wars miniatures - because they are out of print and supplies are dwindling at the FLGS. Though I really have a decent base of minis setup.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Want to know the really sad thing. Due to living in the far north of England I have found nobody to play with so I have all the D&D books (Not the H,P,E adventures, nor the Big Adventures) Plus the Pathfinder books - I have a DDI sub etc. The only game that I play occasionally with my kids is Thunderstone - and the old D&D board game.

In theory I can wait for all of these items - but especially for the Heroscape I worry that they will not be available when I come to buy them in the future.

Remove ads