When North Korean soldiers meet a modern army

Nytmare

David Jose
If a war were to happen in winter on NK soil it would be as disastrous for most armies as German invasion of Russia was during WWII.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia."

Let me start off by saying that I do not in any way think that any of this is going to result in any kind of armed conflict. I am completely of the opinion that this is 100% posturing on the part of the North Korean government to sweep public opinion within its borders against an imagined enemy.

That being said, you're talking about a country roughly the size of Pennsylvania (Korea is 45K sq miles) vs a country the size of 150 Pennsylvanias (Russia was roughly 6.6 million sq miles). You can't fit enough troops on North Korean soil for the upkeep of a winter engagement to be disastrous.

Winter? Not so much. The Afghans basically go home in winter; the US's cold weather gear now allows soldiers to fight in conditions that few armies in history would be able to sustain -- US units with ECWCS III have maintained offensive operations in the high mountains in the depth of winter. When the ground freezes in Korea it dramatically increases the mobility of armored formations, and the reduction in overhead cover gives an advantage to aviation and makes effective camouflage and infiltration difficult.

The best season in which to attack south is early summer -- good cover for infiltration, and full rice paddies make mechanized maneuver difficult.

Remove ads