When revised, should the Hero class now be called the Superhero?

Because we want FCTF to be compatible with D20 Modern as well as D&D, I'm wondering if having the class just be called 'Hero' might be a little confusing. D20 Modern uses classes called Strong Hero, Fast Hero, Smart Hero, etc., so I'm thinking 'Super Hero' or 'Superhero' might be a better name.

Of course, I'd prefer something that didn't conjure up images of spandex-clad cheesecake women and beefcake men, so if any of you have a suggestion, I'd welcome it.

And no, we won't use Champion, Sentinel, Mutants, or Masterminds. Don't want to offend our competitors. :)

Bear in mind, this is just me testing the waters, and is not an official change yet.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Im going to go with the name "Superhero" as one word. Just going with "Super Hero" sort of implies its better than the other classes. I agree with the sentiment that there must be a better name, but for the life of me (and a check through dictionary.com's thesaurus) I can't think of one that adequately conveys what you're going for. Blacksad's names are okay, but I just don't see them as being taken seriously at best, and being misinterpreted (Epic Hero) at worst.

On a related note...what else are you guys going to change for d20 Modern? There seems to be quite a bit different between FCTF and d20 Modern, such as the core classes in FCTF being 20 levels, and the ones in d20 Modern being 10 levels. Is this change in anyway related to what you said before about trying to make FCTF the "official" superhero supplement to d20 Modern? Will people who already have the current version of FCTF get the "upgraded" version you're making?

Malacoda

First Post
If you want to avoid upsetting the competition you should probably not use "super hero", which is trademarked jointly by DC and Marvel. A quick search of the Trademark office, though, seems to indicate that "superhero" is not, so that might be the best choice.

And since my question was not addressed in the previous thread I started:(, maybe I should ask it here (semi-quoted):

Now that d20 Modern is out, how long before we can expect to see the conversion information that was mentioned? Perhaps a 2.0 on FCtF might be in order, since I think some of the powers might need an overhaul, since 3e and d20 modern balance differently.

For example, DR in 3e is hard to come by for most characters. A barbarian gets 1/— at 11th level. A Tough Hero in D20M can get it by 3rd level. So, it seems like in d20 Modern buying DR should have a different model. Same kind of thing with the energy resistance stuff.

I think our current plan is to integrate the original idea of the Big Book of Super Powers into a revised version of FCTF which should probably reach 150 pages or more. I know Russ handles the distribution end of things, though I'm not sure if he's able to provide discounts to people who have already bought the original, or if we'll have to put out some sort of patch, or what.

As far as date. We're shooting for getting the revised FCTF done by late December.

Lizard

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
Because we want FCTF to be compatible with D20 Modern as well as D&D, I'm wondering if having the class just be called 'Hero' might be a little confusing. D20 Modern uses classes called Strong Hero, Fast Hero, Smart Hero, etc., so I'm thinking 'Super Hero' or 'Superhero' might be a better name.

Empowered Hero
Enhanced Hero

BTW, if the original FCTF was 100 pages, and the BBOP was scehduled to be 100 pages, I will confess disappointment that the combined book will be about 150 pages.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I love the system of d20 modern having only the 6 base classes, as such I'm loathe to add another base class.

Will you be adding an option to make the Hero Class (or SuperHero) an advanced class?

Or better yet and option for doing without the Hero class at all. I know there are options for this in the book, but they seem rather watered down.

Well, we could just use simple Level Adjustment. Divide your total Hero Points by 8, and you have that many equivalent levels. And that can work, but from the perspective of terminology, actually having a class is simpler.

Which is easier to say:

"Zidi is a 1st level fighter with 8 equivalent levels of super powers."

or

"Zidi is a 1st level fighter, 8th level Superhero."

Superhero wouldn't work as an advanced class because of logical reasons. Advanced classes all require some sort of training or knowledge before you can enter them, but even a baby can have superpowers, at least in stories. It wouldn't make any sense that you'd have to be a 3rd level Smart Hero before you can gain the ability to shoot energy blasts.

I'm considering making Superhero a class only in name. It would have 20 levels so that you could determine how powerful your character is for purposes of assigning challenges, but I might just give it Hero Points, and not base attack bonus, saves, or hit points.

However, I'm reminded that in D20 Modern, they say that, sure, most expert scientists (Smart Hero 10) wouldn't have the equivalent of a +5 base attack bonus, but in D20 Modern they do, because it fits with the heroic feel of the game.

I think it'd be best to keep it as is, since taking out BAB and saves would require adding more HrPs, which forces us to rebalance power costs and edit the sample characters. That wouldn't be fun.

Malacoda

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Well, we could just use simple Level Adjustment. Divide your total Hero Points by 8, and you have that many equivalent levels. And that can work, but from the perspective of terminology, actually having a class is simpler.
Personally, I like the idea of both avenues of approach. A number of hero points per +1 ECL, then one or more classes that offer hero points. The origin and the evolution. ECLs allow a player to create the origin of the super hero, then classes allow them to shape their powers and skills over levels. This also seems like an additional tool to allow the GM to control advancement of powers in his own games. Some games may use only one approach or the other, or mix the two. Mutants seem like a prime example where this style would work.
Which is easier to say:

"Zidi is a 1st level fighter with 8 equivalent levels of super powers."

or

"Zidi is a 1st level fighter, 8th level Superhero."
This doesn't strike me as a big deal. There are already races with ECL, and they are essentially the same thing.
Superhero wouldn't work as an advanced class because of logical reasons. Advanced classes all require some sort of training or knowledge before you can enter them, but even a baby can have superpowers, at least in stories. It wouldn't make any sense that you'd have to be a 3rd level Smart Hero before you can gain the ability to shoot energy blasts.
I agree, but I do think that advanced classes based on the ECL idea would work.
I'm considering making Superhero a class only in name. It would have 20 levels so that you could determine how powerful your character is for purposes of assigning challenges, but I might just give it Hero Points, and not base attack bonus, saves, or hit points.
This is essentially how I see the ECL origin concept working.
I think it'd be best to keep it as is, since taking out BAB and saves would require adding more HrPs, which forces us to rebalance power costs and edit the sample characters. That wouldn't be fun. [/B]
Won't you have to edit the modern characters anyway?

Remove ads