When role play game become a story telling

Jeux Fictifs

First Post
Oh my God
Master of all role-playing games.
Just point out that my title is:
When the role play becomes a storytelling

If playing a role-playing game is like telling a story that will please my daughter because she wants the princess to be in love with the dragon. She imagines that her princess will have several children with dragon wings and who will spit fire. Because she wants it like in the movie she saw.

So I ask you when the 1st level character of Dungeons & Dragons must have more stories than a 10th level adventurer.

Because I was playing so badly that I was recycling my D & D characters who would often die at low dungeon levels. Why would I write him a story, much more pleasant to write a text about his death.

I understand for some role plays, it is useful to have as a history of what your character did.

But being a bad player, I do not recall having required to play a specific character with a goal other than surviving the role-playing encounter.

=:)=:D=

oh mon dieu
Maitre de tous les jeux de rôle.
Juste vous pointer que mon titre est :
Quand le role play become a storytelling

Si jouer à un jeu de rôle est comme raconter une histoire qui va plaire à ma fille car elle veut que la princesse soit amoureuse du dragon. Elle imagine que sa princesse aura plusieurs enfants avec des ailes de dragon et qui cracheront du feu. Parce qu'elle veut cela comme dans le film qu'elle a vu.

Alors je te demande quand le personnage de 1er niveau de Dungeons & Dragons devait avoir plus d'histoires qu'un aventurier du 10e niveau.

Car moi , je jouais tellement mal que je recyclais mes personnages de D&D qui mourraient souvent à bas niveau du donjon. Pourquoi je lui écrirais une histoire , bien plus plaisant de lui rédiger un texte sur sa mort.

Je comprend pour certain jeux de rôle , il est utile d'avoir comme un historique de ce que ton personnage a fait.

Mais étant un mauvais joueur, je me souviens pas d'avoir exigé de jouer un personnage spécifique avec un objectif autre que survivre la rencontre de jeu de rôle.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Je comprend ce que tu parle par flexibilité mais tes suggestions me prouve juste de les objectifs personnels des personnages-joueurs doivent être intégré dans ton scénario. Sans tenir compte de ton travail en préparation.

Oubli les pirates mais suppose que tu dois faire une démonstration d'un jeu de rôle spécifique dans une convention.
Exemple : Würm , un jeu de rôle français avec un thème dans la préhistoire. Dans lequel les personnages sont des cro-magnons et néanderthals.
Comment être flexible pour ceux qui va se présenté dans la minute jouer avec toi pour seulement quatre heures.

Devrais-je rajouté une race des nains et un dragon , juste pour plaire à un joueur.

Pourquoi préparer si je dois modifier mon scénario pour plaire aux joueurs. Aussi bien improvisé l'aventure avec les objectifs des joueurs. Comme cela j'aurais le nain tueur de dragons, la princesse qui cherche son prince et l'autre pourra faire son contrebandier avec son vaisseau spatiale dans mon jeu au temps préhistorique.

Comme cela chacun des joueurs sera content.

== == == ==

I understand what you speak by flexibility but your suggestions just prove to me the personal goals of the players must be integrated into your scenario. Regardless of your work in preparation.

Forget the pirates but assume you have to do a demonstration of a specific role-playing game in a convention.
Example: Würm, a French role-playing game with a theme in prehistory. In which the characters are cro-magnons and neanderthals.
How to be flexible for those who will show up in the minute play with you for only four hours.

Should I add a breed of dwarves and a dragon, just to please a player.

Why prepare if I have to modify my scenario to please the players. Also improvised adventure with the goals of the players. Like that I would have the dwarf dragon killer, the princess who is looking for her prince and the other can make her smuggler with her spaceship in my game in préhistorique time.

So that every player will be happy.

Mhm, I understand. You want to play a themed campaign or a specific setting and your players don't know about it.

So, I guess the easiest route would be to inform your players beforehand. Either:
1) Say that you'd like to play in prehistoric times and that the characters they prepare should fit into that setting
2) Say that you'd like to play in prehistoric times and that you'll prepare some archetypes for them if they don't have any ideas
3) Say that you'd like to play a very specific adventure/campaign which will be a surprise so they don't have to (or shouldn't) try to play that one SciFi character they've been dying to play for years.

I think it is fair to inform your players on what they're getting into. Any many, if not most players will adapt to the setting. If you plan to make the game deadly, then tell them as well.

I, for example, love themed capaigns. Generic play-them-alls where you meet in a tavern and first go hunt some goblins can become quite dull when you've been playing them for decades. I have to go d'accord with the setting however, and I'd love to built my character into this campaign world. But I also love a strong narrative where dying in or surviving combat is one of many aspects to the story. (Heck, my recent campaigns often have no combat encounter in a whole session, still the stakes are very high)

Last edited:

Jeux Fictifs

First Post
Forget me, it's decided, I'm the worst master of role-playing games.

But you in your campaigns with your players is perfect because you explain them all about the role play that you will play. They can read everything about your imaginary world in a great book or on your website. You take time with each player to find out what he wants to play. Then read the three pages of texts about their character's past is routine because you've seen this quite often. You write many new encounters in your story to match what each player desires. You give them a guaranteed end of happy adventure for their character. Because players do not like the end of dramatic adventures especially when their hero dies.

I repeat my question when your role play has become a story to tell to please your players.

:) ... :)

Oubliez-moi, c'est décidé , je suis le pire maître de jeux de rôle.

Mais vous dans vos campagnes avec vos joueurs, c'est parfait car vous leur expliquer tout sur le jeu de rôle que vous allez jouer. Ils peuvent lire tout sur votre monde imaginaire dans un grand livre ou sur votre site Web. Vous prenez du temps avec chaque joueur pour savoir ce qu'il veut jouer. Puis lire les trois pages de textes sur le passé de leur personnage, c'est la routine car vous avez vu cela bien souvent. Vous écrivez de nombreuses nouvelles rencontres dans votre histoire pour correspondre à ce que chaque joueur désire. Vous leur donnez une garanti de fin d'aventure heureuse pour leur personnage. Car les joueurs n'aime pas les fin d'aventures dramatique surtout quand leur héros meure.

Je répète ma question quand votre jeu de rôle est devenu une histoire à raconter pour plaire à vos joueurs.

Jeux Fictifs

First Post
best story

But you in your campaigns with your players is perfect because you explain them all about the role play that you will play. They can read everything about your imaginary world in a great book or on your website. You take time with each player to find out what he wants to play. Then read the three pages of texts about their character's past is routine because you've seen this quite often. You write many new encounters in your story to match what each player desires. You give them a guaranteed end of happy adventure for their character. Because players do not like the end of dramatic adventures especially when their hero dies.

I repeat my question when your role play has become a story to tell to please your players.

Oubliez-moi, c'est décidé , je suis le pire maître de jeux de rôle.

Mais vous dans vos campagnes avec vos joueurs, c'est parfait car vous leur expliquer tout sur le jeu de rôle que vous allez jouer. Ils peuvent lire tout sur votre monde imaginaire dans un grand livre ou sur votre site Web. Vous prenez du temps avec chaque joueur pour savoir ce qu'il veut jouer. Puis lire les trois pages de textes sur le passé de leur personnage, c'est la routine car vous avez vu cela bien souvent. Vous écrivez de nombreuses nouvelles rencontres dans votre histoire pour correspondre à ce que chaque joueur désire. Vous leur donnez une garanti de fin d'aventure heureuse pour leur personnage. Car les joueurs n'aime pas les fin d'aventures dramatique surtout quand leur héros meure.

Je répète ma question quand votre jeu de rôle est devenu une histoire à raconter pour plaire à vos joueurs.

Lylandra

Adventurer

Well, to a part that's true. Yes, I do take time to speak with each player about their character and their roles in a setting. I provide them with some rough information about the campaign and its world. I am no Ed Greenwood though :) And no, happy endings are not guaranteed. If my players screw up, they screw up.

BUT:
This is my personal style of GMing. No one ever said it was perfect or the one true right thing to do.

And I don't GM the way I do to please my players, I do this to please myself. I want to tell a collaborative, unique, epic story and be surprised by my player's ideas and actions along the way. I also like tough combat, but that's only one minor part of the equation. Because thats what I'd want to play in as a player.

We've had players who left our campaigns because they were too slow-paced. Who wanted more combat and who didn't care for their character's past lives as making money and killing dragons was all they cared for. So, you WILL find players out there who'd really like to play more "oldschool" or dungeon-crawley and that's fine. But neither your players nor you will be happy on the long run if your interests and expectations are mismatched. And maybe you should just talk with your players about just that first.

Remove ads