• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When should you use really high EL encounters?

When is it appropriate to use a really high EL encounter?

• 1) A small fraction of the time (DMG suggestion)

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • 2) As an obvious warning*

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • 3) To make PCs run. That kind of encounter is fun.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • 4) To impress the players (and PCs) with a villain's power.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • 5) To make players realize they shouldn't always be so aggressive.

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • 6) Whenever appropriate (eg I can't answer this one).

Votes: 28 49.1%

diaglo

Adventurer
when the PCs go looking for them or don't pay attention to the hints, rumors, clues.

example: a black dragon is harrassing a village. the PCs decide to investigate. they spy the dragon approaching the village. they attack it while in the open with missile fire.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Li Shenron said:
I prefer to just give hints rather displays. Either can be effective to prevent the party going too quickly against the BBEG, and neither is fool-proof.

I agree about the niether method being fool-proof, but its because of certain players having perceptual problems. Some people will never, ever, understand a hint. Even if the hint involves hitting them with a clue-by-four, or dropping anvils on their head with the word "clue" pasted on the side.

There are players, that just refuse to understand, that anything could be dangerous to their precious little character, then kick up a stink when it all goes crap-side up. I've had it with them. 'Cause it is always the same one. Everytime a coconut.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
#6 Whenever appropriate. Can there be any other answer?

If the PCs decide to attack when all their foes have congregated...

If the PCs decide to seek out trouble above their heads...

If the PCs ignore the warnings about high-level baddies in the area...

If the PCs are travelling in a horribly treacherous landscape where only the worst sorts of things would live...

In general though, the real high-level monsters are either buffered by the layer of mooks around them or have enough of a reputation amongst NPCs to warn PCs. Also, civilized lands are where the PCs start. Difficult to reach lands are where Dragons start (who'd rather not be bothered).

KB9JMQ said:
When your players mock you at the ease that they went thru the last encounter. ;)

This is most commonly my responce. However, the last time they survived a level 20 encounter (they average 13). They surprised me. They survived but the party is devistated and in incredibly bad shape at the moment. Some members may not survive a level 5 encounter now since they have no spells, single digit health and limited stats/abilities (some were reduced)

So what happens next remains to be seen.....

Montague68

First Post
Funny this should be asked, I just did one this past weekend. Normally I don't do "killer encounters" but in this case the party made a Wrong Turn (tm) and was headed towards the deeper part of the dungeon before they were ready. The first encounter they had was noticeably tougher than the goblins and hobgoblins they had been fighting but thanks to some lucky rolls by the barbarian it wasn't quite as much of a challenge as it should have been so they didn't pick up on it. Then they encountered a party that outnumbered them almost 2-1 with obvious spellcasters and healers. And they attacked and fought anyway, and only quick thinking by the gnome threatening to blow up the cultists to hell and back with a smokepowder keg saved them from a TPK.

Generally the only use for such encounters for me is as 2 and 5, which is what the previous encounter was for the most part.

My players haven't leapt at too many high EL fights. They see them and do their best to dodge or social their way through. I've thrown one or two +5 EL encounters at them but they are usually able to see them coming to be prepared.

Two game sessions ago they accidentally invited themselves to dinner with Lord Soth. Everyone was aware that Soth and the circle of deathknights completely outclass the party, even at 20th level. The tension was palpable as they tried to avoid saying anything to set Soth off or be rude by not responding sufficiently.

Good times... good times.

luke_twigger

First Post
frankthedm said:
As to what happens when the PCs when they are thrust into those situations, simply remember how the Players treated foes they outclassed. Thus those who always finish off downed foes are treated just as fairly as they treated others.
Huh? This sounds like a DM teaching players a morality lesson?

Why would a dragon ruthlessly execute PCs just because earlier in the campaign those same PCs had butchered an entire band of orcs?

(Unless of course the orcs were vassals to the dragon, and the dragon found out that it was the PCs who were responsible)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads