• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When the DM says…..

Yardiff

Adventurer
When the DM says "An Elder Being appears before you."

An experienced player will say "Master you've found me!"

Whilst a new player will say "Who? What?"

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
When the DM says “The kindly old, decrepit man offers to pay you a thousand gold if you rescue his granddaughter."

The new player says “We accept the quest and go looking for clues.”

The experienced player says "We knock the old man unconscious and search his house, finding said granddaughter locked up in the secret room in the basement."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
When the DM says, “What do you do?” a new player will ask to make a skill check. An experienced player will state what they want to accomplish and what their character is doing to try to accomplish it.

CydKnight

Explorer
This happened just yesterday:

When the DM says, "The already unconscious paladin has his throat cut by the Darkling giving him 2 Death fails and now holds the blade to his throat threatening a final death slash if the party does not cease attacking."

The experienced players in the group stopped attacking, though some kept ranged weapons trained, spells readied, etc.. while they successfully negotiated their friend's release in exchange for allowing the remaining enemy combatants to simply walk away.

Whilst the new player in the group rushes in to attack causing the enemy to slash the throat of the comrade giving him a 3rd death fail and defacto character death.

When the DM says "The room appears empty."

An experienced player will promptly, but cautiously, search the room.

A new player will look for something to kill, possibly another character if all else fails.
My variant of that would be:

A new player says: "I move to the next room."

An experienced player says: "The DM said appears and not is, there must be something in this room!"

ThePlanarDM

First Post
When the DM says "The Noble does not seem inclined to be believe you."

An experienced player will ….. "Well you see, Mr. Nobleman, the reason that you must do this is..."

Whilst a new player will ….. "Can I roll a persuasion check?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads