• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When to Award XP?

SubDude

Explorer
Search failed me, so I apologize if this has been covered sometime in the past.

I've been awarding XP to my PC's after each session. Occasionally this has meant someone would be able to level up whilst still in the dungeon, and I have resisted this telling the player that they need to wait until the next long rest.

I think I'd rather just let them level up in between sessions, no matter where the characters are. Is there any reason that I am not thinking of that leveling up in the middle of the dungeon should be avoided?

Rhenny

Adventurer
Some people like to require a training period that takes place during down time, but it is basically just a matter of preference.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Search failed me, so I apologize if this has been covered sometime in the past.

I've been awarding XP to my PC's after each session. Occasionally this has meant someone would be able to level up whilst still in the dungeon, and I have resisted this telling the player that they need to wait until the next long rest.

I think I'd rather just let them level up in between sessions, no matter where the characters are. Is there any reason that I am not thinking of that leveling up in the middle of the dungeon should be avoided?

No. It's really more of a preference thing. Have at.

Anymore, I just assume that ongoing training had been going on prior to gaining the XP, perhaps even before adventuring... The XP just makes it "click".

Therefore, I will usually allow levelling up during a long rest, if I've awarded XP.

S

Sunseeker

There is no hard and fast rule. Some people award it after every kill. Some after every encounter, some only at the end of each session, some only after the dungeon is completed.

I tend to allow leveling up immediately if the player is prepared to do so. If we have to stop the game, they can level up after the session.

Shiroiken

Legend
There are five different times you can award xp; after each: encounter, long rest, session, adventure, or level. If you give out xp between encounters or sessions, I recommend they don't gain the benefits until after a long rest, because it makes it easier to track HP, HD, and Spell Slots. I personally give out xp at the end of each session, but if using shorter adventures, that works well too. If you don't want to fiddle with xp much, you give "xp" after they gain a level, but this can cause issues if you have irregular players.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'd say it's fine. I reward encounter experience immediately, and a larger end game bonus at the end of every session. I'll let them level up in the middle of a session if I need a break, otherwise between sessions is ideal (no wasted table time).

Li Shenron

Legend

No particular reason. But I would advise against levelling up in the middle of the adventuring day, when some daily resources are already expended. It's more neat to wait until the long rest.

Remove ads