• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Was Your Last 2e Experience?

• Original D&D - Last weekend (ran a game)
  • Holmes Basic - Spring 2007 (ran a game)
  • AD&D (1e) - June 2009 (played at North TX RPG Con)
  • Basic/Expert/Etc - August 2009 (played in a game)
  • AD&D (2e) - Around 1995 or so, I guess (played in a game)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
I'm in an online 2e game right now. The Birthright community still thrives in Anuire.

As for Basic, I was in a Basic campaign that died over the winter.

kilamanjaro

First Post
I'm playing Planescape: Torment right now. Does that count?
Otherwise AD&D 1st Edition we stopped in '91. Then we played a hybrid 1E/2E game until '96. Then it was Rolemaster until 3rd.

Ariosto

First Post
Sunday (two nights ago).

Or maybe that should on balance be called "1e"? We've just been calling it "D&D".

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, I played basic till 1E, 1E till 2E, and 2e Until 3E. Once the new system came out, I boughtthe books nad gave it a try. And at least till 4E, I never looked back on the old system or played mroe games in the old system. I ma on the fence about 4E and currently play both 4E and 3.5

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Every 2Ed campaign I was in at the time 3Ed was released stopped cold and we started new 3Ed games...

Except one.

That campaign started off in 1Ed in the mid 1980s and was continued as a 1Ed/2Ed hybrid until 3Ed's release.

Currently dormant- but still considered active by the players- it has been updated to 3.X.

It will not be updated to 4Ed- none of the players like that game.

pawsplay

Hero
In 1994, i got rooked into "the only game in town," and ended up playing an elven fighter. The other players mocked me ("Elven fighter? Wuh?") until they saw the power of Dex 18 and full plate in a world where attack progressions quickly plateau and "max Dex bonus to AC" had yet to be born. At 2nd level, my elf tanked a juvenile black dragon.

Wik

First Post
2e... I dunno. 2003 or so? It was about two years after 3e broke, and a guy I knew wanted to run a Ravenloft game. It was an alright game, and I had no problem playing it, but THAC0 confused me by then already. That being said, I want to run a 2e dark sun, with THAC0 and AC converted to the 3e style, and possibly using 4e's saves system. (or at the very least, 3e's saving throw system).

As for Basic. I don't know. I love Basic (we're talking BECMI, right?). It was definitley a one-shot, sometime around 2005 or 2006, but I can't remember the details, or if it was an entirely fictional event that didnt' actually happen but that I vaguely recall happening. But for a long time, I preferred BECMI to 2e... though I had kinda tinkered with the system a bit.

Taureth

First Post
1999; mostly due to love of Planescape.

I learned RPG in my brother's campaign which was essentially 1E AD&D with UA, and a lot of bits from Dragon Mag and different supplements, including a little 2E stuff. I preferred it to straight 2E, and consequently never played a whole lot of the latter, pre-Planescape, whicn was run as a 2E campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads