• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Was Your Last 2e Experience?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Spring 1996 with my first group at RAF Mildenhall, UK. I pcs'd at the end of '96 to Osan, Korea. I didn't get another group going until 3rd edition came out (except for a brief forray into Alternity).

Late spring 2001. I'd gone to GenCon in August 2000 for the first and only time. 3E was released there. I'd made the mistake of using the "10 things you can do to run a 3E game NOW!" list that was in Dragon. It was a complete, total disaster of a game for various reasons but my players refused to touch 3E then until the following year.

Once I'd convinced them to play 3E I ran a campaign that we played outside by lamplight through the entire summer and well into fall of 2001. It may have been the best gaming I've ever had. I've really sort of been on hiatus since about 2003.

Oh, and when I do finally get a game started again, my choice will be a game at least based on an editon PRIOR to 3rd.

Prism

Explorer
We did a one shot in about 93 after leaving it behind just after release, remembered why we left it and never went back. In those days we were looking for complexity and so played rolemaster until the release of 3e. I think we just wanted to make life difficult for ourselves

Contrarian

First Post
My last 2E game was at a convention in November 2006. (Ed Greenwood was DMing, and that's the edition he prefers.) Before the DM showed up, we players were joking about whose Players Handbook was closest to falling apart.

Basic D&D. Um... 1987, maybe? (I switched to 1E as my preferred game in `84, but occassionally DMed the boxed version for younger relatives afterwards.)

Not that anybody asked, I've DMed 24 games of 1E this year (game 25 is the day after tomorrow), and been a player in one (at a convention).

Last edited:

Belen

Adventurer
June 2001. We waited until our existing game ended before switching to 3e.

However, a friend is starting a new 2e game in the next month or so. I am looking forward to playing that edition again!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads