• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Will and When Should WotC Release 4th Edition?

When Will WotC release 4th Edition and should they do so?

• WotC will release it in 2 years and should not do so.

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • WotC will release it in 2 years and should do so.

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • WotC will release it in 3 years and should not do so.

Votes: 71 18.6%
  • WotC will release it in 3 years and should do so.

Votes: 54 14.1%
  • WotC will release it in 4 year and should not do so.

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • WotC will release it in 4 years and should do so.

Votes: 66 17.3%
  • WotC will release it in 5 or more years and should not do so.

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • WotC will release it in 5 or mor years and should do so.

Votes: 97 25.4%
  • WotC should never release a 4th Edition.

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 24 6.3%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I quite agree with the "evolving game" idea; it becomes apparent to any student of the history of D&D that the game has always been evolving - even whilst Gary Gygax was the primary force behind the game.

I'm not so fond of it evolving too far away from its roots, but if that is the way that the majority of the market requires it to go... then I guess I'd have no choice but to follow or continue in my "old-school" games. :)

Cheers!

AGGEMAM

First Post
They should release it in 6 six month provided they get of thier hmm and finally tries to get it right. 3E5 is even more riddled with errors than the original release of 3E was.

William Ronald

Explorer
MerricB,

There may be ways to keep the roots of the game, while allowing additional options. There are several different styles of game play, and different rules options could allow for them perhaps a little more easily than they do now. (The Black Company novels and the Lord of the Rings are both fantasy literature, but each has a distinctive feel.) I would like to think that the game can be inclusive for different playing styles. Possibly this is something that a 4th Edition game could address. (Cinematic feel versus ultra-gritty, high fantasy versus low fantasy, humorous versus serious, et cetera.)

I would like to think there is always room for people and their playing styles at the great communal gaming table.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The main point of interest to me - and one that I believe divides a lot of people in the RPG community - is that of rules-heavy vs. rules-light.

I am worried that some of your suggestions would make D&D too much of a generic system, something I would firmly oppose.

Cheers!

William Ronald

Explorer
I tend to be rules light myself, MerricB. Rules should never get in the way of a good story.

Hmm, maybe there could be some suggestions on how to make changes to the rules to achieve a certain "feel" for a campaign. This may keep any future rules from getting so heavy that you would need to make a strength check to lift any of the core rules books.:D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
On July the 18th, I bought 2 copies of the 3.5E PHB, 1 copy of the 3.5E DMG, and one copy of the 3.5E MM.

I only just made my Strength check to pick up the bag. :)

I tend towards the heavier style of rules; well medium, really. 1E really frustrated me with its inconsistent style (some really detailed rules, some really vague rules).

For me, the story is created by the interaction of players and DM within the framework of the rules. It's also why I can be a bit of a "Killer DM". ;)

One thing I have found with 3E (and 3.5E) is that the only books I've needed to take to a session have been the three core books - and the current module. Very rarely will I need to take another book in, despite the fact I own most of the WotC generic D&D books.

Cheers!

Mach2.5

First Post
I agree with Roland that if there is a 4th Edition, it should not merely overhaul the existing system, but present a vast array of multiple systems. For example, the basics would still be a class based system, non specific combat (although it gets trimmed down into very specific combat the longer the game continues), Vancian spell system, etc. What would be great would be alternate systems that showed how to work with D&D in a classless skill based system, alternate spell casting types, very in depth step by step combat, even a 'Minimal Rules' alternative. The more D&D broadens its appeal, the more people will play it. If 4e opens up to being a system capable of handling almost any fanatasy notion, the more it truly becomes The One Game to Rule Them All. If a new edition trods down any particular road, then this is the destination I think that I would most like to see it end up.

If I want to see 4e...then I want to see it at LEAST five years from now. How much can you really change anymore? Call me old-fashioned, but I LIKE just about everything that D&D does right now. I dislike classless systems, and the idea of bastardizing D&D into one of them makes me want to vomit. D&D is just fine and 3.5 isn't bad at all.

William Ronald

Explorer
So, far I am fairly happy with what I have seen of 3.5. I think maybe some options for different types of campaigns might work. However, I think the core game will likely always have such elements as hit points and classes. (I suppose a classeless system is possible as an option. I do not really see a need for it.)

Of course, there are limits to how far you can stretch any rules system. That and the books should not be so thick that they become unwieldy. One thing that I liked about the way 3.0 was promoted was "Options, not just rules." I think there should be options, but not to the point where everyone is overwhelmed.

Mach2.5 -- I doubt any single system can please everyone. People have different tastes. Still, it is possible for a future edition to present options for players and DMs.

Trev -- I doubt that D&D will ever become a classless system. There might be a feature that allows people to adapt the rules to a classless system, or perhaps advice on crafting classes and prestige classes. Don't worry too much and don't feel ill.:D I suspect it will be at least a few years before a new edition. Creating a new edition would be a major undertaking.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Darkness said:
Write-in for "White Wolf buys D&D (or even the entire WotC) in 3-4 years and immediately releases 4e." :D

I can picture it now. White Wolf buys D&D, and publishes 4th Edition with every race recieving it's own rulebook, such as...

"Elf: The Prancing"

"Dwarf: The Grumpiness."

"Halfling: The Cleptomanicalism"

"Human: The Swiss Army Race"

:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads