D&D 1E Where are they Now? - 1E Fiend Folio

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk said:
That's a synad in Complete Psionic, not a snyad. Still very confusing though. :confused:

Whoa! I've been making that mistake since they first appeared in Dragon. I'm glad to know it was my mistake, not a case of WotC reusing a name. :eek:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Garnfellow said:
Maybe I am a huge outlier here, but I would really prefer not to see any more "official" conversions of monsters already covered by the Tome of Horrors -- unless that conversion really spun the monster in a rather new direction. And in that case, what's the point?

For my money, ToH has already nailed the "faithful" mode of conversion. So I'd rather see something new than the same ground plowed again.

[rant]And part of this just my irritation that so few d20 publishers (or WotC, for that matter) have availed themselves of the excellent conversions found in the ToH -- which is, of course, no fault of any of the good folks here in this thread.[/rant]

I can definitely see your point, but I assure you are hearts in the right place when we submit updates for the overlap critters. As you pointed out within the rant tags, official sources aren't going to utilize the ToH, so the only way these creatures will ever appear in a Dungeon adventure is with an official update. It would be a shame for many of these classics to be forgotten to a current generation of gamers just because they didn't appear in an "official" product.

IIRC, BOZ got Scott's blessing before sending any queries on overlapping critters. Plus, they'll probably be updated anyway, so we might as well "keep it in the family", eh? :)

Garnfellow

Explorer
Shade said:
I can definitely see your point, but I assure you are hearts in the right place when we submit updates for the overlap critters. As you pointed out within the rant tags, official sources aren't going to utilize the ToH, so the only way these creatures will ever appear in a Dungeon adventure is with an official update. It would be a shame for many of these classics to be forgotten to a current generation of gamers just because they didn't appear in an "official" product.

IIRC, BOZ got Scott's blessing before sending any queries on overlapping critters. Plus, they'll probably be updated anyway, so we might as well "keep it in the family", eh? :)

That's good to hear -- you all are definitely the right guys for the job. I just wish WotC had made a practice of "canonizing" ToH conversions in their own products*, rather than going off and doing their own.

* The precedent I'm thinking of would be the MMII. Kind of like what they did with the Creature Collection monsters, but if they got the OGL declaration right and it was more than a half-hearted attempt.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:

all of that is 100% true.

Garnfellow said:
That's good to hear -- you all are definitely the right guys for the job. I just wish WotC had made a practice of "canonizing" ToH conversions in their own products*, rather than going off and doing their own.

* The precedent I'm thinking of would be the MMII. Kind of like what they did with the Creature Collection monsters, but if they got the OGL declaration right and it was more than a half-hearted attempt.

to tell you the truth, i was suprised that WotC had even made that "gentleman's agreement" with NG regarding not reusing creatures from ToH. and then, it didn't surprise me that they weren't sticking to it. as for why they did it, and the way they did it, i have to say i can't agree on the lack of faithfulness to the old material that some of their conversions have exhibited.

at least with us submitting conversions to Dragon, you won't have to worry about seeing something like WotC's Sussurus or Kelpie. :)

we recently submitted a conversion of the Quickling - if that ever sees print, i think its going to knock your socks off. :D

Twitchy_the_Frog

First Post
Hey, BOZ and Shade, you guys did the princes of elemental good and evil, right?
Were you guys thinking of ever doing the slaad lords. I only know of the two in the 1st ed FF, but they are really cool and they seemed like something that you guys would cover.

Just wondering...

Remove ads