• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where can I find Exorcism rules?

papa_laz

First Post
So the Book of Vile Darkness has some cool rules that cover possession. But I'd like some rules for exorcism. Anyone seen any or house ruled them before?

Mistah J

First Post
I thought the BoVD included some exorcism rules since it doesn't make sense to have rules on getting in but not out.

Other than that, Complete Divine has a sacred exorcist PrC that deals with exactly that. Also, the possession rules were re-done for Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, updated to 3.5 I think and so may have some rules there as well.

jaywolfenstien

First Post
So the Book of Vile Darkness has some cool rules that cover possession. But I'd like some rules for exorcism. Anyone seen any or house ruled them before?

Book of Exalted Deeds has a small section on Exorcism that more or less lists a series of spells and abilities that can function as Exorcism.

Also, Heroes of Horror has rules for a more ritualistic Exorcism, but it's written for dealing with a Haunted Presence or a Haunted Site.

Lastly, Complete Divine has a PrC class called Sacred Exorcist, and the first ability he gets is "Exorcism."

frankthedm

First Post
Core rules might be enough depending on how the DM wants to work the possession.

Dispel Evil
Abjuration [Good]
Level: Clr 5, Good 5, Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target or Targets: You and a touched evil creature from another plane; or you and an enchantment or evil spell on a touched creature or object
Duration: 1 round/level or until discharged, whichever comes first
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: See text

Shimmering, white, holy energy surrounds you. This power has three effects.

First, you gain a +4 deflection bonus to AC against attacks by evil creatures.

Second, on making a successful melee touch attack against an evil creature from another plane, you can choose to drive that creature back to its home plane. The creature can negate the effects with a successful Will save (spell resistance applies). This use discharges and ends the spell.

Third, with a touch you can automatically dispel any one enchantment spell cast by an evil creature or any one evil spell. Exception: Spells that can’t be dispelled by dispel magic also can’t be dispelled by dispel evil. Saving throws and spell resistance do not apply to this effect. This use discharges and ends the spell.

Dismissal
Abjuration
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One extraplanar creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell forces an extraplanar creature back to its proper plane if it fails a special Will save (DC = spell’s save DC - creature’s HD + your caster level). If the spell is successful, the creature is instantly whisked away, but there is a 20% chance of actually sending the subject to a plane other than its own.

Banishment
Abjuration
Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One or more extraplanar creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

A banishment spell is a more powerful version of the dismissal spell. It enables you to force extraplanar creatures out of your home plane. As many as 2 Hit Dice of creatures per caster level can be banished.

You can improve the spell’s chance of success by presenting at least one object or substance that the target hates, fears, or otherwise opposes. For each such object or substance, you gain a +1 bonus on your caster level check to overcome the target’s spell resistance (if any), the saving throw DC increases by 2.

Certain rare items might work twice as well as a normal item for the purpose of the bonuses (each providing a +2 bonus on the caster level check against spell resistance and increasing the save DC by 4).

Arcane Focus
Any item that is distasteful to the subject (optional, see above).

papa_laz

First Post
Thanks guys. I'm the one DMing, but ive recently had the PC's possessed by fiends. I think those spells will probly do the trick. The PC's will just need to find someone who can cast them.

Jada

First Post
The best rules I have seen for Exorcism is in the Demon Hunter's Handbook on pages 34-38 published by Goodman Games and reiterated in The Quintessential Cleric II - Advanced Tactics Book Three on pages 85-89. Very complete, in depth rules for how to Game Master an Exorcism, including in-game time, resources, skills and checks, and modifiers to successfully do so. These advanced rules are NOT simply, cast this spell and the possessing demon is forced out of the victim. These rules simulate an actual in-game Exorcism encounter that resembles the classic exorcism as seen in the movie The Exorcist. It simulates the resistance of the possessing demon and the toll on both the victim and the exorcist, representing the back and forth power struggles between the forces of good and evil. If you want to make the Exorcism a major plot point or even make the Exorcism an entire encounter for the adventure, then these are rules for you. If you just want to get the possessed demons out of your PCs and move on with your story, then use the spells as outlined by our peers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads