• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where can I get a map of a cairn?

maggot

First Post
I want to know what the inside of an actual burial mound looks like. Is there a map somewhere out there? Searching with google has gotten me nowhere. Thanks.

Griswold

First Post
I would try your local library. I made extensive use of the local library for some research on castles and manor houses, and I seem to remember some stuff on cairns there as well.

Last edited:

mirzabah

First Post
maggot said:
I want to know what the inside of an actual burial mound looks like. Is there a map somewhere out there? Searching with google has gotten me nowhere. Thanks.
A cairn is basically a smallish pile of rocks, often heaped directly on top the corpse. As someone else said, a map is probably not necessary.

However, perhaps you mean something a bit larger like a barrow. These sometimes have multiple chambers. I couldn't turn up any maps for you you, but I'm sure they're out there. Alternatively it wouldn't be too hard to draw one up yourself. Just remember that building these things took a lot of effort on the part of their builders, so your D&D standard of 60'x30' chambers would not be very authentic.

Last edited:

If you're looking for burial mounds/cairns/barrows, you might want to go to your library and check out some books on Vikings..I distinctly recall picking up a book about Vikings for a project and seeing a sketch of what their burial mound looks like on the inside.

kengar

First Post
Maes Howe is a ancient mound up in the Orkney islands off the North coast of Scotland. It was built before the vikings, but they vandalised it about 1000 yrs ago or so, I believe. The link has a map with some measurements. My wife & I were there last summer and went inside, pretty neat stuff.

Remove ads