Where do good dragons get the treasure they hoard?

Sejs

First Post
Wise investing.

"Wonderful, my Allied Armorworks stock is up 12 points. I simply must remember to send some adventurers out to raid Dark Baron von Killspeopleformoney's stronghold later on today. That should teach the slimy git to try and mess with my portfolio."

*edit* curses, Agrippa beat me to it

Last edited:

Impeesa

Explorer
alsih2o said:
Questing.

You should see their special mounts.
:p

I just had a vision of a gold wyrm in a cowboy hat on a bucking tarrasque. Now I'm going to be giggling about that all evening. Thanks. :p

--Impeesa--

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
IMC Dragons would set themselvesup as minor dieties to the local populace and accept tribute from their worshipful charges. Of course their is only one dragon (so far) IMC so the point is moot but thats what they would do

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, one dragon runs a bank. Basically, you give him your gold, and he sits on it. In return, you get an "account" that you can draw upon anywhere within three day's flight of the central office. You gain security and convenience, and he gets a nice bed.

Of course, they're also major financeers. Since they've got so much gold, they tend to work on credit (or more specifically on "debt relief" -- they buy your bad debt, and then you work for them).

-- N

s/LaSH

First Post
Hey, dragon bankers is a setup begging for expression.

Now, there are other sources for cash... the most apparent one is leftovers. Every so often, undead or an evil plague or siege tactics will depopulate a rich underground complex and leave its wealth intact. A metal wyrmling can come along, sense all that booty, and charge in eating undead as it goes until it finds the hoard, curls up, and goes to its happy place. Also, a fantasy world is bound to have leftover treasure lying around in all sorts of places - adventurers who get eaten by dinosaurs or die lost in catacombs or the desert, caravans looted by goblins (who are fair prey for metals), the Crumbling Cities Of The Lost Civilisation Wot Made All The Artifacts Of Prophecy (because you don't have a fantasy world without at least one of those), and so on. Dragons just happen to be well-equipped for such hazardous retrieval operations.

Payment is only possible if the dragon is socially active. Socially active dragons, in turn, will have an interesting effect on society (and especially on the economy, because any economy involving them will eventually become them - dragons aren't spenders of any kind)...

Remove ads