• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do I go with my beguiler/fighter

albatrossen

First Post
I´ve read some treads about beguilers becoming Ultimate magus as a great treat and I wanna do that, but the things I have read is always when you start from scratch. Now I got a fighter lvl1/beguiler lvl3 and I want to go wizard and then UM. But feats and skills and in what order to do what???
Teach me, please :)

Empirate

First Post
Welcome to ENWorld!

I think you shouldn't try for Ultimate Magus with what you already have. Your character would be much better served going one of the more regular gish routes. Ultimate Magus is really more of a PrC for primary casters. Also, Ultimate Magus really only comes into its own when you start with Beguiler 1/Wizard 4, use the Practiced Spellcaster feat on the Beguiler casting, and use Ultimate Magus to advance Wizard casting whenever possible.
Basically, you end up with a Wizard who has some lower-level spontaneous casting to fall back on, and who can sacrifice those spontaneous spells for metamagic. At least, that's my idea of a well-built Ultimate Magus.

If you can, you should maybe try and rebuild your character to get rid of the Fighter level. It's really not doing much for a Beguiler IMO.

Dandu

First Post
I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news: You can still be an Ultimate Magus

Bad news: Just not as powerful as someone who got in at the first opportunity.

Suggestion: You seem to want to play a skilled warrior who can also do magic. Maybe you'd be interested in the Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom prestige classes?

albatrossen

First Post
No Superman.

Thanks for your response. First I will say that I know that the Character that I have done so far is made out of "I knew nothing about characterbuilding:) " then I will say that I dont need a superman, I just want what is the best I can get from here.
I won´t redo him, so what I´m asking is where do I go from here, I´m very much into spellcasting not so much the warrior style. My character is a spellcasting scoundrel but he wants to be spectacular saving the group and stuff.
He is a coward too, so he wants to be able to protect himself, put obstacles in between himself, allies and enemies. He has a motto saying "never be to proud to run away".

Suggestions anyone???

Dandu

First Post
Take levels in Monk. Monks are great at running away from things.

On a more serious note, most of the spectacular things I know for saving groups and stuff involve careful planning. It's kinda hard to just enter into a prestige class on the spot, for example. There are a few decent prestige classes that have easy prerequisites, though.

Unseen Seer, Fatespinner, Divine Oracle, Rainbow Servant, or Mindbender (good for the first level, especially when combined with the Mindsight feat) come to mind. Other than that, you should probably study your spell list and make sure you know how to best apply your spells to the situation. Beguilers get a lot of crowd control and disabling spells iirc, along with some buffing and a decent amount of utility magic.

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
Great suggestions by Dandu as usual, let me just add that straight Beguiler is nothing to scoff at. It's a well designed class, and not many PrCs do much for Beguilers. Taking a PrC is not mandatory, you know?

albatrossen

First Post
Ehm´...

Yes I know you know loads of classes that I don´t but if I want Stilian (charactername) to throw some agressive spells, which way to go? pure wizard? Prestigeclass? metamagic solutions? I really like the beguiler spell-list, but as soon as you play some "high will savers" or non mindaffected monsters, then he is shrewed. And somehow that happens alot where Stilian goes!

Empirate

First Post
Maybe Stilian should use his illusions and party buffs more...

Beguilers aren't really cut out to be agressive casters. They can shape the flow of events to a certain degree, but they can't be expected to be the matchwinner in every combat, regardless of what they're facing. They're not Wizards or Sorcerers, they work more on a low-key style.
Now by your description that seems to be Stilian's style, too, so I'd recommend sticking by your guns and play to your strengths. And maybe, if all you encounter are mindless or high-Will foes, you should have a little talk with your DM and tell him you'd like to be able to shine from time to time, too.

If you're set on getting a means of really hurting your opponents, nothing beats getting additional spells known for a Beguiler:

You might be able to convince your DM that the Extra Spell feat allows you to choose one extra spell known from any list - take Call Lightning or Enervation or Wings of Flurry or Slay Living, or whatever else strikes your fancy.

Another thing of note is that there are some Prestige Classes expand your spells known list (the Sandshaper PrC from the Sandstorm supplement being a prime example).

Also, have a look into Magic Item Compendium, specifically at Runestaves. These little tools essentially expand your spell list to include whatever spell(s) the Runestaff is keyed to. Invaluable for the spontaneous caster.

albatrossen

First Post
feats...

Okay I´ll consider to stick with the beguiler :)
What feats would you prefer to a guy like Stilian in the future, cause most metamagic feats seems to help agressive spellcasters? Where should Stilian spend his feats?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads