• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do orcs live? Kobolds? I was surprised to learn.

Quasqueton

First Post
Did you know the normal environment (terrain) for these humanoids is:

Bugbear - temperate mountains

Dwarves - temperate mountains (Deep dwarves are listed as "underground")

Elves - temperate forest (Drow are listed as "underground")

Gnolls - warm plains

Gnomes - temperate hills

Goblins - temperate plains

Halflings - warm plains

Hobgoblins - warm hills

Kobolds - temperate forests

Orcs - temperate hills

Is this what you think of for these races? I must say, when I noticed this recently, it surprised me. For some of these, the terrain/environments didn't match what I had always thought was appropriate. Note that none of them are listed as "underground," which is a distinct type (see deep dwarf and drow above)---even the ones with darkvision.

Quasqueton

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Its said that when the world was created each races gods claimed space for their repective race. Humans claimed the plains. the elves took the forest, the dwarves took the mountains. well Gruumph the orc's god apparently over sleeped ;) and missed out. To make up for it he drove his spear into the hillls to create caves and its that space that he claimed for his people

Henry

Autoexreginated
For some, I can defintely see it. The Orcs, living in the hillsides, fighting the Dwarves, who live in higher regions, wanting their mineral resources, it strikes me that orcs wouldn't necessarily want to wipe out the dwarves and take their place - they'd want to RAID the dwarves, get as much processed mineral wealth as they can, and leave. But, they'd want the dwarves to survive, weakly - after all, what do the orcs know about mining, much less living in cooped-up mountain strongholds with ceilings too low for them?

Now, Elves and Kobolds as natural enemies is an image I'll admit I had NEVER thought of before now - how could the little pipsqueaks stand up to the powerful and magically inclined elves? Then another thought hits me - the elves may very well live on the ground, while the Kobolds are the ones who have an arboreal culture - their bodies are perfect for climbing , and the daylight penalties are aleviated under those shadowy boughs and thick canopies. Imagine these master trapmakers with their tree-villages, and their snares and aerial traps, climbing in under cover of nightfall to raid what they can use from these elves. :)

fafhrd

First Post
Henry said:
Now, Elves and Kobolds as natural enemies is an image I'll admit I had NEVER thought of before now - how could the little pipsqueaks stand up to the powerful and magically inclined elves? Then another thought hits me - the elves may very well live on the ground, while the Kobolds are the ones who have an arboreal culture - their bodies are perfect for climbing , and the daylight penalties are aleviated under those shadowy boughs and thick canopies. Imagine these master trapmakers with their tree-villages, and their snares and aerial traps, climbing in under cover of nightfall to raid what they can use from these elves. :)

That's just cool Henry. I'd snip that for my own if I had a pair of shears.

Voadam

Legend
jarlaxlecq said:
Its said that when the world was created each races gods claimed space for their repective race. Humans claimed the plains. the elves took the forest, the dwarves took the mountains. well Gruumph the orc's god apparently over sleeped ;) and missed out. To make up for it he drove his spear into the hillls to create caves and its that space that he claimed for his people

No, no, no, He said "laugh at me and leave my orcs with nothing will you? They will live here!" and he thrust his spear into the elven forests, blighting them, "They will live here!" and he thrust his spear into the dwarve's mountains bringing a shadow to their halls, "They will live here!" and he thrust his spear into the sunlit hills claimed for the gnomes, darkening them. And so orcs fight everyone everywhere to claim the homes the other gods would deny them.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Most degenerate humanoid creatures are found in labs in the sub-basements of the world's Universities.

OK, lemmee try a different answer:

Wherever I, as the DM, choose to put them?

As far as I am concerned, all of GEHF (generic evil humanoid fodder) are just as adaptable as humans. Dessert Bugbears? You bet. Tundra Gnolls? Yup. Savannah Kobolds? Uh-huh.

Now trolls, that's a different breed altogether. Most trolls are found on Interweb message boards. ;)

Sejs

First Post
Imagine these master trapmakers with their tree-villages, and their snares and aerial traps, climbing in under cover of nightfall to raid what they can use from these elves. :)

Like evil, scaley ewoks!

Gez

First Post
francisca said:
Dessert Bugbears?

Yummy!
yum.gif

Voadam

Legend
Quasqueton said:
Did you know the normal environment (terrain) for these humanoids is:

Dwarves - temperate mountains (Deep dwarves are listed as "underground")

Elves - temperate forest (Drow are listed as "underground")

Gnolls - warm plains

Gnomes - temperate hills

I must say, when I noticed this recently, it surprised me. Quasqueton

These four surprised you?

Remove ads