Where do we stand on Harry Potter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Redding is my hometown, just south of the mountain. Never had much cause to head all the way up it but it looks damn pretty from the edge of the valley. That's about the only good thing I could personally say about Redding, however.

Well, I guess it's also featured in Fallout 2 which is a pretty good game
I had the most wonderful Japanese breakfast in Redding, believe it or not.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given the above description, I thought you were from Berkeley. I'm from Arkansas, the entirety of California is like Narnia to me. There are little signs everywhere warning me that something near me is known to the state of California to cause cancer. Combined with all of your earthquakes, floods, landslides, and fires, you're living on borrowed time.
That's just our Department of Public Health having a much higher standard for what to flag. You're eating and breathing in mostly the same stuff. The state of California will just tell you "hey, maybe you want to back off a bit on X or Y."

And, unfortunately, a lot of the world is going to be experiencing floods, landslides and wildfires in the coming years. If everyone chills out with all the fracking, you'll be spared the earthquakes, though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While I live in Portland currently, I had family down by Brookings (near the border). Yeah, I can imagine what it's like near your neck of the woods lol. Most folks have no idea of the ...climate on the Oregon/California border. While both are blue states, that area? Not so much. And by "that area", I mean most of the area of both states :p
The State of Jefferson, thank you very much. :p

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
And, unfortunately, a lot of the world is going to be experiencing floods, landslides and wildfires in the coming years. If everyone chills out with all the fracking, you'll be spared the earthquakes, though.
Also unfortunately, it won't be the frequency of earthquakes that forces us to stop fracking. It will be the price of oil.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also unfortunately, it won't be the frequency of earthquakes that forces us to stop fracking. It will be the price of oil.
Yeah, fracking is the fossil fuel companies getting while the getting's good. The party is almost over for them.

(The smart move -- going all-in on renewables -- won't be the route they take until it's too late and the market leaders are bigger than they will be at that point.)

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The State of Jefferson, thank you very much. :p
i feel sick flu GIF

MGibster

Legend
That's just our Department of Public Health having a much higher standard for what to flag. You're eating and breathing in mostly the same stuff. The state of California will just tell you "hey, maybe you want to back off a bit on X or Y."
The first time I noticed a warning sign was at the entrance to my hotel where I quickly surmised that it was rather pointless. As a customer, I received the knowledge far too late to make any practical use of it. What was I going to do? Decide at the last minute to cancel my reservations and go look for another hotel? If I were an employee it would be equally worthless. I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, ain't nothing in this life for free, so it's not like I can just quit my job. But after a few days, these signs became invisble to me. I've got to think they're invisible to most Californians and don't really help you make any kind of informed decision. Gah! California is a great state, but that kind of thing would drive me up a wall.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The first time I noticed a warning sign was at the entrance to my hotel where I quickly surmised that it was rather pointless. As a customer, I received the knowledge far too late to make any practical use of it. What was I going to do? Decide at the last minute to cancel my reservations and go look for another hotel? If I were an employee it would be equally worthless. I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, ain't nothing in this life for free, so it's not like I can just quit my job. But after a few days, these signs became invisble to me. I've got to think they're invisible to most Californians and don't really help you make any kind of informed decision. Gah! California is a great state, but that kind of thing would drive me up a wall.
Now I got this in my Head...

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Well, it's complicated: on the one hand, since it is so ubiquitous, it doesn't drive anyone up the wall because one begins to take it with a grain of salt: but Prop 65 has actually led to a lot of reductions of carcinogens in in numerous products. The ones with the label are just where the manufacturer reckons it's cheaper to warn people than actually reform...which means the really dangerous stuff that could end up costing big is what gets reformulated, and doesn't need the sticker.

Life is complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads