• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do you game?

Where do you game the majority of the time?

• At home (mine or someone else's)

Votes: 317 90.8%
  • In a game store

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • At a public location other than a game store (i.e., a pub, a student union, etc.)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 11 3.2%

Frost

First Post
This is sort of a spin-off from the "Why should I shop at my FLGS?" thread. I was wondering how many people actually play at a local game store.

I was just at my FLGS today, and I have to say I am usually a little put off by the crowd gaming there. I prefer to game with known friends and associates, excepting conventions. But this could really reflect the specific FLGS and its in-store gaming crowd more than any common demographic.

Wombat

First Post
I game at my apartment; have since I moved up to the Bay Area.

Never felt comfortable gaming at a store, mainly because too often I see the store people joining in and utterly ignoring the customers, which is really bad customer relations!

sjmiller

Explorer
Just about every game I play is played at my home. Since I am the DM for most of them, and all the materials I need to run the game are here, it makes sense. Besides, two of the players also live here. I play in one game at the DMs house, and that is a good excuse to get out of MY house.

I do play one sort of game at a venue, and that is HeroClix. That is not played at a game shop, however, it is played at the local comic shop. Frankly, the people who play at most of the game shops are kind of creapy, and several of them I have encountered really have dysfunctional or non-existant social and hygeine skills. I used to think that was a myth, but sadly it is true.

Thief of Always

First Post
Ever since my friend Seth became a R.A. at the college apartment he lives at, we've been gaming there. I feel kind of bad, since I haven't set foot in my FLGS in over two months.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
When I was a kid we played at people's homes, in the cafeteria at school, or in public libraries.

Today, I exclusivley play in my, or someone else's, home. I don't think I would enjoy gaming in either of my two local FLGSs. One is usually filled with Warhammer players who *really* look down on D&D, and enjoy telling you that your favorite game sucks, and I just don't want to deal with it. The other is filled with pre and early teens bickering about Neopets and click-based games, or drooling and making rude comments about the BoEF. As a certified Grumpy Old Fart (TM), I'm not really interested in that either.

Having said that, I have volunteered to run a few D&D games at one of the stores in an attempt to introduce it to new players, in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of D&D. I am looking forward to that.

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear that I don't begrudge the guys in the FLGSs their game or their place to run it.

Last edited:

Hoog

First Post
I play at my lgs, because they have organized a club and there are games every night. The shop owner goes home around 630 and we are there till all hours of the night. We as a group work together to run the local convention and to bring new people into the community. We also have set up times for younger kids to come in and try something new.

I like the atmosphere at our store as it is a large family, we have some freaks but that comes with any large group. Most of our members of the club have been with it for over 10 years and continue to game at the store.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I voted Other. We game at a private club for which we pay rent. The locale is totally dedicated to gaming.

Last edited:

Etan Moonstar

First Post
Huge sectional couch that wraps around the living room, two bookcases of rpg books (with a third needed soon), 4 39-drawer cabinets (30 small drawers, 9 large) of D&D minis, my computer with Internet access, and my kitchen; darned straight I prefer to run my games here at home. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads