• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do you see (or want) 5.0 to go?

Glade Riven

Adventurer
It's a long way off, but I was just curious on what people's thoughts are.

5.0 isn't going to go Pathfinder, 'cause Pathfinder went there. A lot of the DM stuff from 4.0 will probably stick around. Mechanically, I can see it heading more along the path of SW SAGA but keeping much of the same power and skill structure.

Or I can see WotC going in a new direction, taking ideas from previous systems and applying them in a new manner. It'll still be some form of D20, though.

bagger245

Explorer
Well, whatever complains about 4e, mechanically, now is what 5e will fix. Better maths, better ritual rules and perhaps faster combat since I noticed alot of complaints on combat length.

But I prefer if 5e be radically different ala 3e->4e to warrant a new edition. Of course still being D&D with class/level etc.

caudor

Adventurer
I'm just now really getting into 4e

What I don't want is for 5e to be such a huge change that all my current 4e resources become completely obsolete. I hope they build on 4e instead of drastically altering the rules again.

The mention of 5e still strikes fear in my heart. Let it be far, far, away.

Hereticus

First Post
It should require lots of expensive books, with larger fonts, more pictures, and perhaps some advertising. Content is overrated.

The initial investment to play should be about $500, to keep the not-so-serious gamers in older editions.

Stormonu

Legend
Though I haven't actually played beyond making a character, I'd like to see it go the route WFRP 3 went, or head in the direction Pathfinder took. Heck, I probably wouldn't mind taking the route C&C has taken.

4E is light on its feet in just about every arena except combat. I like that WFRP 3 uses an abstract movement system and uses specialty dice to help tell the tale of combat without turning into a minigame. I can't see 5E picking up WFRP's dice, but I would like to see combat scale back towards a more abstract system than 4E's blow-by-blow accounting system. It's fun at first, but the thrill wore off for me rather quickly (by about the 3rd kobold fight or so).

I'd also like to see a stronger skill system. The version in 2E felt underpowered and cumbersome, while 3E's felt "tacked on", subordinate and unimportant at times compared to combat skill. 4E's simply felt like it was simplified a bit too much - every character seems like a Renaissance man (or woman). Personally, I like WoD's approach where everything is essentially a skill, but unfortunately WoD's system does not work with a level-based game all that well. Over the 20-30 levels of D&D, not having some sort of automatic improvement in skills can make it difficult for the PCs (or monsters) to accomplish needed tasks at believable levels and with regularity.

That gets me thinking - if any of the remaining sacred cows needs to be slaughtered, it's level. Leveling causes all kinds of problems in the game - all of them based around scaling.

Rechan

Adventurer
A lot like 4e, but even more streamlined. I really dislike how basically your class/build hangs so important on a primary ability score, and that ability score needs to be huge. This makes multi-classing out of your primary score a pain in the ass, and gives huge incentive to play a race with the boost to that primary score, as well as having low stats except for your primary/secondary score or else "the maths" doesn't work.

No "Expertise" BS ever. Make "The math" work from day one.

Magical weapons aren't needed at all for "The Math" to work, therefore magical weapons can be made COOL, Unique, and Rare, rather than "+1 sword that does +d6 fire damage on a daily". I'd be happy if folks only had 1-3 magical items their entire career - and clung to them. Magical items are not in the economy.

Abstract the economy and integrate favors, boons, resources (Keeps et al) as part of it.

Tie combat powers/class features to the Combat Role, but create a separate Out of Combat Role and tie skills to that. Something like 'Scholar' 'Scout' 'Sneak' 'Socialite' 'Tough Guy' 'Athlete'. Each of these comes with a package of skills. This way, your Fighter is a Defender, but he can also be a Scholar (and have knowledge skills rather than physical ones), a Cleric can be a Sneak (stealthy and thiefy) and a Wizard can be a socialite (with social skills instead of knowledge).

Revitalize skill challenges; they don't go far enough. Instead, model them after combat, with various options. For instance social combat (whittling away resolve/putting conditions) instead of just "Bluff/intimidate/diplomacy vs. DC". Silo non-combat powers to the Out of Combat/Skill Role.

I almost want to see the system look like lego blocks; you can plug a piece in or leave it out, and it doesn't effect the Game. Such as a player picking a Class Feature package, a Combat Role, and Non-Combat Role. Leaving the economy out, leaving magical weapons out, or leaving COMBAT OUT is purely OK - you can assemble and run a game without one of the other parts.

Last edited:

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I see a different skill challenge system that will come out of finding what works and what doesn't with the current system.

I see a secondary out-of-combat skill system that one can use that does not take away from the current skill list.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Actual setting support in book form.

Design philosophy that doesn't force a generic core world onto previously distinct and unique settings.

Design informed by the flavor heavy approach of 2e.

Festivus

First Post
For starters, I think 4E is here for a while, at least the base engine is. The whole concept of simple rules with a pile of exceptions has made for a game that is easy to learn, easy to teach. It has never been easier to get someone to try out a D&D game than it has been with this edition. The rules aren't daunting, the character builder is a stroke of genius, and the DDI subscription model provides a revenue stream for a long time to come.

Wizards will take that 4E engine, and plug in new games (e.g. Gamma World is the first big test of this, perhaps followed by Boot Hill, Dragonlance -- as it's own game, etc.) Each of those games will be refinements of the 4E concept, much like Star Wars SAGA was to 3.5... but at it's core, 4E is here for a while.

At least that's what my crystal ball says.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads