• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do you see the evolution of the D&D game heading?

The Iron Mark

First Post
Crothian said:
It doesn't matter how they change it; there will be someone that feels this way. Seriously.
Yeah, look at diaglo :p.

I don't know where D&D will head, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the direction that U_K so earnestly wanted.

painandgreed

First Post
I think they'll put out 4E, probably killing a sacred cow or two, and breaking the OGL in the process. They won't put out a replacement to OGL for 4E. The system probably will go towards a simpler (initially), encoutner based system that will also be more minature reliant and closer to a skirmish game. Roleplaying will be an afterthought that will be discarded if it gets in the way of the combat either causing a more rigid social skill system or the lack of one completly.

After the base books have been rereleased, along with all the monster books, they'll start with the additional rule books that will cause the game to lose it's simpler game play.

In 8 to 10 years, they'll do it all over again.

I'll probably switch to another system or still be playing 3.5.

Blackwind

Explorer
There seems to be an increasing emphasis on the 3D visual-tactile element of the game, including miniatures and dungeon tiles. I would not be surprised if we see pre-painted plastic terrain features at some point. Frankly, I have no problem with Wizards producing this kind of stuff -- it probably draws lots of new, especially younger, people into the game. Kids (of all ages) like toys. I know that when I was 10 or 11 I was fascinated by the elaborate Warhammer setups they had at the LGS. Miniatures-scale battlemaps will probably be included in every module.

Because the rules have become more complex, there seems to be a movement in the direction of making D&D products easier to use. The tactical element of the game is popular but challenging, and so certain modules now include round-by-round tactical advice for the DM. Books like Complete Warrior and PHII include character-optimization tips. This kind of thing is also good, in my view -- if we're going to have a complex ruleset, WotC had darn well better reach out to new players and make the game easier to learn (and especially run). I and many other players have complained about the game being too rules-oriented, but really my complaint isn't about the level of complexity, it's about the difficulty of DMing (and especially tweaking the assumptions of the game, like magic level or power level) given that complex ruleset. If WotC could find some way to remedy that situation (i.e. make the game flexible but easier to run) then I would be very happy.

As for the actual rules of the game, hopefully the designers will find a way to streamline them without dumbing anything down. The game should be easy to learn and take a lifetime to master, which means that the ruleset needs to be intuitive, elegant, and efficient and yet still provide infinite options for both players and DMs to customize the game. That's a tall order.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4E is balanced per-encounter rather than per day. I certainly wouldn't mind if that was the case. When it comes to D&D there are certain cows that I do hold sacred: the six ability scores, classes and levels, etc, -- but not per-day balance.

Also I would be remiss if I didn't suggest that WotC hire some talented writers (not game designers, writers) to pen some really exciting flavor text for their books. That would go a long way toward making me a happier customer.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I don't quite believe that they turn D&D into a MMORPG or a CG. If they do either, they'll have lost me as a customer.

I'm sitting on the D&D table. If they take D&D away from the table, I won't get up and follow them.

I also draw the collectible line somewhere. They can randomise their minis all they want, as long as they keep their filthy Magic paws away from the game itself.

Other than that, game aids are always welcome, as long as they don't become the game.

But I think Wizards knows that: They won't eliminate the tabletop aspect or the non-random aspect, though they'll try to put electronics and random stuff into the game, as optional aid.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I think there will be a greater presence online either through computer games or software that more easily allows people to play online together. But, I can't see the tabletop gaming side of it vanish because thats were most of the players are. RPG's are for direct social enjoyment, and that means having your fellow players face to face, talking together and playing together.

Remove ads