• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where does giant equipment come from?

arscott

First Post
Not sure where their armor comes from, but weapons of that size are pretty easy to get.

Every so often, they run across another adventure with powerful build who took monkey grip to get the biggest sword possible. The fact that they weild huge-sized weapons somehow deludes these fools into thinking that they can go toe-to-toe with a giant. Instead they get a quick beatdown and have their weapons stolen for use by huge-sized giants.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, it's from an ancient racial pact with Azer smiths who live on the Plane of Fire and Ash.

The warrior giant caste (Fire Giants) are often called on to defend the Azers.

-- N

Endur

First Post
Silly question. Everyone knows that Giants have floating castles on top of clouds. They have the most amazing forges and looms and other types of equipment in their cloud civilization.

If you want to visit a giant's castle, all you need are some magic beans.

Big Lots? :D

Seriously though,
Based on type and magicl ability the answer could be - anywhere.
For example, hill giants wear skins and carry clubs, they could easily get the club from uprooted trees, scrapped across boulders to prune off excess branches, limbs and the like then go go out, steal a few cows during a raid with their brand new club and use said boulders to skin the cows for food, use the meat for food and repeat the process as needed.

On the other hand a cloud giant may have access to planar spells and possess a private mine set-up on a pocket elemental dimesion, a forge set-up on another and just higher elemental beings (or press them to service) to fashion said armor and weapons for him/her. Or using funds from a prvate mine barter for goods with djinni or efretti to create some for them.

Overall, the possibilities are endless, but each giant would, IMO, garner equipment in its own unique way, fitting alignment, intelligence, location and personal wealth factors.

Starglim

Explorer
Fire giants live in volcanoes, so presumably they can find some fantastic rivers of molten metal to forge their full plate and greatswords. As a result, I wouldn't treat the former as very good-quality metal - cast iron at best. (Quick check) Good, no masterwork adamantine.

The other giants either don't use much metal or are advanced enough to get slaves or trade partners to mine ore for their axes and swords, forging them in their own castles.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Endur said:
Silly question. Everyone knows that Giants have floating castles on top of clouds. They have the most amazing forges and looms and other types of equipment in their cloud civilization.

If you want to visit a giant's castle, all you need are some magic beans.

I dunno, this could be a cool adventure.

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
There are tons of different answers, each with a different impact on your gaming world. The "right" answer is the one you decide is how it is in your gaming world.

the Jester

Legend
This thread reminds me of this one time...

The pcs slew some giants and were searching their bags. Here's some gold, here are some throwing rocks, here's a haunch of meat and some pretty rocks- and here's a bag with a bunch of sheep and the new bard pc in it. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads