D&D 5E Where Does The Multiversal Vecna: Eve of Ruin Visit?

Includes Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron.

evernight.jpeg

Evernight rises above the molten ground in the Shadowfell.​

Dungeons & Dragons designer Amanda Hamon has revealed some of the locations that Vecna: Eve of Ruin visits.
  • Evernight, a Shadowfell version of Neverwinter
  • Spelljammer's Astra Sea
  • Eberron's Mournlands
  • Ravenloft's Death House
  • Dragonlance's Three Moons Vault
  • Greyhawk's tom of Acererak
  • The Nine Hells
GJSmc8PacAEGr2z.jpeg

A pair of adventurers outside the Three Moons Vault, a complex on Krynn where allies of Lord Soth await them. Art by Jedd Chevrier.

GJSnDyhacAAvKh_.jpeg

Over 30 new monsters from around the multiverse arrive in Vecna: Eve of Ruin. Here we see a deathwolf from Krynn and a hertilod from the Astral Sea. Art by Brian Valeza.

Tales of the Lance, World Book of Krynn, p2: "On the other hand, some stock fantasy creatures do not appear—lycanthropes, orcs, half-orcs, and halflings."

Then again DL16: World of Krynn, which predates TotL by three and a half years, has a banshee with a ring of protection from lycanthropes as a treasure.
Which makes it a retcon , just like “no druids”. Although in this case, a completely pointless one.

mamba

Legend
It’s not the first DL sourcebook. The first one was Dragonlance Adventures (1987). Tales of the Lance was a boxed set from 1992.
Take it up with Shannon Appelcline ;)

“Surprisingly, Dragonlance's core setting of Ansalon had never previously had a full sourcebook. The earliest material on the world of Krynn was scattered across the first fourteen "DL" adventures (1984-1986), of which DL5: "Dragons of Mystery" (1984) was a micro-sourcebook. Dragonlance Adventures(1987) and Atlas of the Dragonlance World(1987) offered some source material, but it was split across those two books and Dragonlance Adventures was more of a smorgasbord than a complete setting book.”

Since they consider it the first full sourcebook, that seems like a good place for such information, even if the two incomplete earlier ones that are more fleshing out the campaign did not mention it (no idea whether they do)

Last edited:

Take it up with Shannon Appelcline ;)

“Surprisingly, Dragonlance's core setting of Ansalon had never previously had a full sourcebook. The earliest material on the world of Krynn was scattered across the first fourteen "DL" adventures (1984-1986), of which DL5: "Dragons of Mystery" (1984) was a micro-sourcebook. Dragonlance Adventures(1987) and Atlas of the Dragonlance World(1987) offered some source material, but it was split across those two books and Dragonlance Adventures was more of a smorgasbord than a complete setting book.”

Since they consider it the first full sourcebook, that seems like a good place for such information, even if the two incomplete earlier ones that are more fleshing out the campaign did not mention it (no idea whether they do)
Dragonlance adventures was a hardback book very much like modern 5e setting books. I know because I own it. It is far from micro.

mamba

Legend
Dragonlance adventures was a hardback book very much like modern 5e setting books. I know because I own it. It is far from micro.
the micro referred to DL5, the smorgasbord to DLA.

In either case, if TotL is the first true setting box for DL then the ‘no lycanthropes’ in it is not a retrofit to me, it simply was not brought up in the incomplete ones.

It then would only be a retrofit if DL1 - DL14 featured them or DLA explicitly mentioned their existence

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
It then would only be a retrofit if DL1 - DL14 featured them or DLA explicitly mentioned their existence
In that case, it was indeed a retrofit. The random encounter table for the Dargaard Keep cemetery in DL16: World of Krynn lists werebears, wereboars, wererats, weretigers and werewolves as potential encounters.

mamba

Legend
In that case, it was indeed a retrofit. The random encounter table for the Dargaard Keep cemetery in DL16: World of Krynn lists werebears, wereboars, wererats, weretigers and werewolves as potential encounters.
I skipped DL15 and 16 for a reason (not from the DL authors, so such errors could have crept in, did not expect the full list however…), still interesting to know ;)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I skipped DL15 and 16 for a reason (not from the DL authors, so such errors could have crept in, did not expect the full list however…), still interesting to know ;)
I'm not sure I follow that logic. DL16 was authored by Douglas Niles, Michael Gray, and Harold Johnson. Douglas Niles wrote or co-wrote DL2, DL6, DL9, DL11 and DL14. Harold Johnson co-wrote DL12. So DL16 has a significant overlap in contributors with the rest of the DL series.

Remove ads

Remove ads