• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where does the Psion leave the Monk?

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Now that the psion is out and it is so different to the monk, where does this leave the Monk? From the new feats available to the Psion we know that other Psionic classes will have Power points - it seems to me that this is the Psionic schtick, much like Divine classes have Channel Divinity and Primal have higher hitpoints.

This class(Psion) makes the monk look very decidedly like an addon because they didn't know what else to do with it.

I think that they need a major review to find a way to make it feel like the Monk fits in with the other Psionic classes.

Much has been made of the difference that the Shaman has to the other Primal classes but it still has the link with the other ones via the flavour and more importantly (at least to me) mechanically having higher hitpoints then average.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like it this way. Now people can choose to have a monk class (semi-popular) without using psonics per se if they don't like them.

I will consider the monk a distant cousin of the psion who may not even know they are related.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I don't see why the monk has to use power points just because the other psionic classes do. That's like saying that all strikers have to use an extra damage dice mechanic.

Unlike other Divine classes, Invokers don't worship a god, they get empowered by one. Shamans channel spirits, unlike other Primal classes. And hell, every Arcane class does something totally different from the rest.

With this in mind, why is it so weird that the Monk would channel his internal focus differently from how some of the other Psionic classes do it?

johnnype

First Post
Speaking only for the fluff:

I've never, EVER understood why monks have any relation whatsoever to psionics. Apples and oranges. Hell, apples and frikkin steak afaic.

I missed the monk discussion. What's it like mechanically?

Speaking only for the fluff:

I've never, EVER understood why monks have any relation whatsoever to psionics. Apples and oranges. Hell, apples and frikkin steak afaic.
It's because Monks and Psions develop by training themselves internally, in mind and spirit. The Psion trains his mind, in order to manipulate energy and other minds, while the Monk trains his mind in order to master his body. (Remember that Ki refers to "spirit, mind, or breath"; in greek, "psyche" also refers to exactly those same things.)

We've seen these two elements -- "Ki" and "Psionic" -- presented separately for so long that a lot of folks forgot just how much thematic basis these elements share. Obviously, they share a lot.

When you think of it in these terms, the Monk seems right at home as a Psionic class.

Bumbles

First Post
I've never, EVER understood why monks have any relation whatsoever to psionics.

Probably something to do with perceptions of them as learned, and ascetic, with a focus on discipline, which naturally carries over to mental disciplines.

I think The Legend of Kung Fu may be responsible in part for that.

Remove ads