• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where does the Psion leave the Monk?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think the monk doesn't use the power point mechanic because it was originally designed to be ki rather than psionic. I think that there could be changes made to make it fit into that mode, with the move/action dynamics to the powers (e.g., you could receive a number of power points you could spend to get use both modes for a power at once) but I don't think that it's truly necessary.

I suppose it will really make sense once we see the other psionic classes and what they do with power points.

--Steve

vyme

First Post
Yeah, my impression is that monks were originally supposed to use the 'ki' power source (as mentioned in the PHB), but then WoTC probably realized that there weren't enough ki classes to warrant such a power source, and figured psionic was close enough. I expect Monk to be the oddball for the psionic power source.

Then again, it is possible we could still see a monk build that does use power points, though I suppose that's unlikely for the PHB3. Maybe in Psionic Powers?

Edit: I appear to have repeated much of what Steve said. That's what I get for leaving the compose window open for half an hour while doing "actual" work.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
I still wouldn't be too shocked if we see five or six psionic classes in PHB3 (particularly if the subheading shown on the preview cover is accurate), and that the soulknife doesn't use the augment mechanic.

The Wizard has a Spellbook.
The Warlock has Pacts and Pact Boons.

The Psion has Power Points.
The Monk has Full Disciplines.

The Druid has shapeshifting and Beast Powers.
The Barbarian has Rages.

The Invoker has Channel Divnity.
The Avenger has Channel Divinity.

Sometimes power source share mechanics. Sometimes they don't.

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
The monk isn't that far out there. Remember the SoulKnife? Psionic, but didn't use power points. There's so much crossover anyway as others have stated.

It's not just a DnD thing either. In Shadowrun there were physical adepts. They were basically monks that used magic to enhance themselves. They had their own rules because self-enhancement didn't fit in with general magic.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I just want to see something unifying is all.

All Primal classes have higher hitpoints.

All Arcane classes have controller as subset.

All Divine classes have Channel Divinity powers.

All Martial classes are physical attack based not flashy (I am sure at this point others will point to individual powers).

What are all Psionic classes going to be?

Point is each class in a group has something that makes it feel like there is a connection. I can't see the connection between the Monk and Psion.

Last edited:

johnnype

First Post
You never watch martial arts movies or anime do you?

Nope. Never ever.

Of course I do. I still see only a tenuous connection at best. To me the monk makes more sense with "martial" as a power source than psionic. Regardless, it's all just semantics and a pet peeve I'll have to deal with. Moving on...

Cadfan

First Post
For what its worth, I'm with you, johnnype. I think that drawing a connection between "psions meditate to train their mind" and "kung fu monks meditate too" and concluding that kung fu monks in kung fu stories are using some sort of eastern form of psionics is... crazy. Particularly given that that form of fantasy story pre-dates western "psionics" by centuries, if not millenia.

I also question the wisdom of a taking psionics and removing the anachronisms. There's been mental magic in myth and legend for a long, long time, but "psionics" in any sense of the term was a revision created relatively recently and set in direct opposition to regular superstition and magic. It was a "sciency" vision of magic that was supposed to be "actually real" by those who pretended to practice it, or who popularized it. Taking it and then returning it to the medieval age just doesn't quite work for me.

I don't know, I'm a little frustrated by the monk, one of my favorite classes, getting shoehorned into somewhere he darn well doesn't fit. Its just fanboy-ism, and whatever, as long as people like it, I guess its fine and I'll live with it. But I don't like it.

Remove ads