Where i share my experiences with DCC (as a noob)

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Recap from last Sunday:

Like Banging Your Head Against a Bronze Door

Encounter 1 [2 xp]
Having surpassed the deadly trap involving sparks and a pit of petroleum, the gang turned the corner and found that the passage sloped downward. Also they could smell papyrus coming from a side passage. Up ahead, in the main passage, the glint reflecting off of a huge bronze door could be seen. The walls and ceiling in the main passage depicted "scenes of war, diplomacy, and royalty; the hallway is a historical record of some period in the valley long ago."

The group splits up into several directions.

Turmus approached the side passage and exclaimed that the place "smells like learnin" with clear disgust. Eni, Drumble, Foddir, and Orn explored the side passage and discovered 4 ante chambers; with each of them containing a lectern, books, and other nick nacks. Most of the books crumbled to dust when handled, except one which contained an indecipherable language. The prized possessions were the Wizard's scrolls sitting on a lectern in each room. The spells were engraved on metal sheets that weighed about a 1/2 pound. [Knock, Spider Climb, Flaming Hands, Ropework.]

Baltor the Warrior, later followed by Kane, decided to inspect the door and the main passage. As Baltor approached the huge Bronze door, the walls glowed for a moment, then dimmed followed by a faint smell of ozone. He soon realized that the door did not open inward or outward, but it actually opened uppward. Also Baltor, building on some realizations that Eni had earlier, began to have some insights about the Hieroglyphs surrounding the door. Unfortunately, he never got around to sharing these insights with the rest of the group.

Rork Enbeans and Turmus, being none too bright, just hung out in the main passage.

Drumble/Foddir miraculously found an intact textbook in the library, but couldn't decipher the language. Orn searched for parchment and soot to trace the hieroglyphs. Eventually he was able to achieve this [I'm not sure when].

Baltor and Kane chucked rocks at the door until the rest of the party joined them. Baltor used the thieves' tools that he looted to pry a gem he found attached to the Bronze door and failed. Orn offered his expertise for a split on the gem's value and a deal was struck. Two of the strongest in the party attempted to lift the Bronze Door with a crowbar, but it was far too heavy. Drumble used the Knock Spell as a scroll and failed.

A dead end. A distant boom and tremble was felt and heard coming from the entrance side of the dungeon.

Encounter 2 [1 xp]
The group headed back. The gang returned across the bridge without incident, except Baltor who was last in line. The shovel that was wedged in the spinning-spark-log was loosened and fell when Baltor rope-shimmied across. He was able to catch his grip on the rope as the board spun, flinging a shower of sparks into the petroleum pit below. A rush of hot air and flames rushed upward towards Baltor as the hard luck warrior scrambled to the other side. After that, the gang then held their collective breath and rushed past the checkered squares. They all made it to the other side without incident.

Encounter 3 [1 xp]
Eni heard hee-haws and neighing from their beasts and the strong scent of their manure hit him before he could turn the corner. He peeked past the first pit trapped hallway with Steve's body now frying at the bottom laying on top of heated copper coils. The scent of Steve had turned from hot dog water to fried bologna. The Witness of Cthulhu had no time for that though, because his attention was squarely on the giant copper lizard's head peering into the foyer. The head and shoulders filled the large doorway. It seemed content to just look around without poking its head into crypt. Until the lizard's cat like gaze spotted Eni.

It then backed from the entrance and Eni could see that it was covered with copper scales and the size of a small house [and had wings]. It spoke the Common language "You destroyed my favorite watering hole. But I just want to talk. Perhaps an agreement can be made." Eni has never seen or heard of such a creature, nor anyone else.

The group emerged from the crypt and negotiated. [I forgot to call for the save to get across the open pit.] Cue the awkward DM improv...
The dragon seemed miffed that you took away his favorite watering hole
He demanded the Amphora Amphora of the Leokampoi (aka The Jar of Steve) as payment.
He seemed curious about what you guys were doing in there
His name is Cyprius
He hooked the handle of the Jar of Steve in one talon and flew off (omg, it was spectacular)

With the petroleum pit ablaze, the gang decided to wait things out. They camped in the Foyer without incident. [Disapproval was lowered by 1. Spell burn was reduced by 1. A Hit point was recovered]

Encounter 4 [1 xp]
The gang crossed the first pit [I remembered to call for save rolls]. They returned to to 'T' intersection at the promenade. Baltor checked the traps to the south and found that the heat from blaze had diminished significantly, but heat was still present. The gang decided to head north from the promenade towards an unexplored area.

An antechamber was found that contained three 12 foot long timber. The used this to bridge the first pit trap, making it much safer to cross. [No save necessary, unless you attempt to cross during combat]

Encounter 5 [2 xp]
Continuing north, the gang found a room with some statues and bronze door on the other side of the room. A few statues were scattered across the ground mixed in with a couple of skeleton. Most of the statues were on pedestals lining the room; these were dressed in golden breast plate and halberds. Unsurprisingly, two of the statues animated and attacked. [A series of bad player rolls and good DM rolls ensued]. Baltor the Unlucky [Luck 4] became the focus of the animated statues attacks. He was downed once, Eni saved him, then Baltor was downed permanently with a halberd to the neck.

You guys looted the bones and took a halberd. The golden breast plate dissolved once the statues were destroyed. The bronze door on the other side turned out to be a false door. They also found a Knock spell.

Encounter 6 [1 xp]
Once the fire cooled down in the petroleum, the gang returned to the second bronze and tried to use the Knock spell found on the dead adventurers. Drumble performed a blood ritual to ensure that the casting would go right [Spell Burn 8 points]. It failed, but did not waste the scroll [He rolled a total of 12.] Having already sacrificed most of his physical form, the frustrated wizard attempted one more time... success! A small click was heard from the bottom of the Bronze door and the door silently raised up. The gang braced themselves for whatever was coming next. Current game time is around noon.

Session xp: 8
Total xp for survivors: 20
End Session

Epilogue
A wizard and a warrior approached the crypt entrance. They were former indentured servants of a merchant who was part of the caravan crossing the Blood Plains. The merchant died and there's no actual law of indentured servitude on the Blood Plains, so they were free. The pair decided to sneak away with some food & water, then track down the adventurers. They hoped to return to Iruk because wherever the caravan was going sounded even worse than surviving the desert. They think they might have been followed, but that might have been a mirage [If no one else dies, then it's a mirage. If characters die, then these are future characters]

[/spolier]

DRIZZN'T

Villager
I have a 5-panel DM screen that has the common critical hit/fumble tables, and use the purple sorcerer website to print spells out for my players -- beyond that, I really don't need to access many tables at all, maybe 1-2 a session like an adventure-based random encounter table, or a monster power result here and there ...

I mean there's 18 tables in 5 pages here, that's a LOT. lol

Having said that, this DM screen is great and I'll use it if I play a DCC game.

not-so-newguy

Cyprius
Adult Copper Dragon, neutral
78 years, size of a small house
Init +9;
Atk +9 (+d4)
2 claws (1d8) and bite (1d12);
AC 23
HD 9d12 (45 hp);
MV 50’ and fly 100’ and burrow 50’;
Act 3d20;
breathe 2/day Poison Gas DC 19 Fort save or die. Cloud, radius 1d3 x 10’, aimed up to 90’ away
Dust Cloud 1/turn DC 19 Fort save or 1d4 Stamina loss per round. The dragon can summon a dust cloud that is 10’ wide at base and up to 50’ tall
heat metal 3/hour (DC 19 Fort save resists), The dragon can heat one metal object to painful levels. This ability inflicts 1d8 damage per round to characters holding heated objects or 1d10 damage per round to characters wearing heated armor.
rusting hide: The dragon’s hide causes rust in all normal metal objects. As a result, its treasure horde consists primarily of gems and magical items. Weapons used to attack the dragon crumble to rust upon touch (although magic weapons are immune).
speak with animals 1/hour, The dragon can designate one animal and communicate effectively in that animal’s native tongue for the remainder of the hour. The animal still cannot communicate beyond the limits of its intelligence and physical abilities.
spells:
Magic Shield
Sleep Mercurial Magic 84: Energy burst. When successfully casting this spell, the wizard is surrounded by a burst of energy. Roll1d6...(2) crackles of electricity, which arc to the nearest enemy within 10’ and cause 1d6 damage;
Locate Object Mercurial Magic 68: Mirror magic. This spell causes an eldritch echo that duplicates the wizard’s appearance as if he had cast a mirror image spell with a spell check of 16-19 (1d4+1 mirror images blink into existence next to the caster). However, each duplicate image created saps the caster of a single point of Personality until the image is dispersed.
SV Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +9; AL N.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I mean there's 18 tables in 5 pages here, that's a LOT. lol

Having said that, this DM screen is great and I'll use it if I play a DCC game.
All the tables you have to look things up on was something that kept me away from DCC, but now that I'm running games online with a VTT, it is trivial to roll on tables. It will take some time to create them all in the VTT, but once they are there you can easily roll without having to flip pages. The DCC Dying Earth boxed set I backed on Kickstarter is now shipping. I'm looking forward to reading through it.

not-so-newguy

I realize that most of my posts focus on my campaign and don't really talk much about DCC, but these two subjects are intertwined and I don't want start a separate thread for each.

Blood Plains Campaign
This campaign started out with the idea of "start small and grow from there." We've had 3-4 sessions now and here are my thoughts on the campaign so far...

1st Adventure: Portal under the stars
In Game:
On his death bed, Old Man Roberts talked about a portal to a tomb that would appear every 50 years or so. It was filled with riches and danger.

The players, at the expense of 6 or so character deaths, cleared the dungeon. They discovered the secret treasure room, which includes half of a magical sceptre (Rod of Rulership). While in there, they contacted alien-goat-people who requested that they find the other half of the Rod. The aliens gave them the location of this item as a mile northeast of The God's Tear Oasis.

Meta:
All we knew is that the players were 0 level villagers and they knew someone named 'Old Man' Roberts. At this point I had no idea what this campaign was about. The inclusion of the Half Sceptre's location was made after I picked up Crypt of the Science Wizard.

2nd Adventure: Crypt of the Science Wizard
In Game:
The party joins a caravan traveling west past the Sumara mountains. At the the God's Tear Oasis, the party splits with the caravan in order to find the Crypt where the other half of the Rod of Rulership is located. After deciphering some hieroglyphs, the players discover that the history of the Blood Plains is far different than what is popularly believed. Common Belief: Blood Plains has always existed. Discovery: The Blood Plains was a fertile river valley and home of a technologically advanced civilization of humans who are guided by a great Serpent spirit.

The party explores the heavily trapped crypt. We've had 2 character deaths and are about to introduce 2 new characters to the party. A copper dragon named Cyprius pays them a visit and interrupts their exploration. He seems curious as to what they're up to, but still demands tribute. Namely, a Magical Jar that contains a water spirit which produces endless water. The water elemental can be manipulated into producing different spell effect (e.g. Water Shield), but there's risk of corruption or misfire.

The new characters are former indentured servants who's lord has died while traveling with the caravan. The characters have chosen to sneak away from caravan because their fate seems worse with the caravan than with exploring a deadly dungeon.

The party returns to exploring and finally gets a large bronze door opened (Knock Scroll) that was impeding their progress. This is currently where we're at.

Meta:
We now have regional map which was provided by the Crypt of the Science Wizard adventure. It's fairly simple and no scale is provided. The paragraph below describes it from east to west:

Jungle on the eastern edge of the map / west of that is a strip of grasslands bisected by the River Tean which runs north to south / a huge desert to the west of that / a mountain range on the western edge of the map. The map features mostly desert which is called "The Blood Plains of Esh." The pc's hometown is Iruk which is the largest city in the region and located on the the River Tean.

The module also includes some major NPCs and a faction. These are described below

NPCs and Factions
Cyprius: A copper dragon that wants the jewels contained in the Crypt, specifically the jewels buried with the Consort (now a Techno-Mummy). In the future, he'll demand a cut of the other treasures that the party finds. The dragon will return the magical Jar as an "act of rare generosity." He figures that the jar will improve the party's chances of survival and thus improve his chances at more treasure.

Sphinx: Not introduced yet. These are servants of the Serpent spirit that have been cut off from their master. Their interest in the party stems from the fact that the Crypt contains a passage to the underworld (aka UnderDark) where the Serpent is trapped by the Lich Kersete.

Pharo's faction: Not introduced yet. The leader of the city of Iruk doesn't want adventurers trifling with the structures found in the desert. The reason: The civilization of Esh was nearly destroyed once by a wizard named Kersete. The 'Sun Lords' of Esh ended up defeating the wizard and burying him in a tomb. Some adventurers rediscovered the tomb and accidentally released the Wizard's spirit who then returned and finished the job of destroying the civilization once and for all. The people of Iruk are all that remains. The Pharo's faction knows this and doesn't want to repeat this mistake of the past, fearing they will waken Kersete yet again.

Planned expansion of the campaign:
To be clear, the final room in the Crypt of the Science Wizard is extremely deadly and will require higher level characters. The players will have a tough time finding the room, even if they know of its existence. In other words, the characters are going to need to gain a bunch of XP before taking on the two Techno-Mummies and finding the entrance to Kersete's dungeon.

I picked up "Off the Beaten Path: Desert Excursions" which features twenty 1-2 page adventures that start in a desert, including more than a few tombs. I plan to plop these adventures down in various spots in the desert for some Sandbox style play. I also plan to pick up "Off the Beaten Path: City Excursions." Hopefully I can find some good mini-adventures plop down in Iruk.

The final room in the Crypt of Science Wizard features an entrance into the underworld, but doesn't provide anything beyond that. There are promises made by author to expand, but I have no idea when that'll happen. I assume that the Crypt's expansion by the author won't happen in time for my campaign; so I'd like to place a large dungeon down there that can be the resting place of the Lich Kersete and the prison of the Serpent.

Last edited:

not-so-newguy

But wait. What are your experiences, what do you think of it in play?
So far, it has been fairly smooth but that's because the Crypt of the Science Wizard and Portal under the stars are mostly traps. We'll see how smooth I run it if/when we turn to more combat heavy adventures. After the funnel, the group has had two deaths in two sessions which they seem fine with.

The vibe I'm getting is that they're finding it a refreshing change from our 5e games. We'll see if they're still cool with things moving forward.

Comparing to 5e:
1) The death rate is higher, as expected. The 0 level Funnel really helps with setting this expectation.

2) Spell casters are less reliable, which the group is learning the hard way. The wizard Spell burned 6 ability points and still failed. No corruption, misfires, or disapproval luckily for the group.

3) Luck matters. In the one battle that we've had in Crypt of the SW, the two animated statues focused on the warrior with abysmal Luck (4). He's now dead. Also, characters that had "bad" Luck (8 or lower) were forced to make checks where the others did not.

4) With all the randomness, jealous deities, and fickle patrons; it's nearly impossible to have a linear adventure (edit} campaign. At some point, a character is going to piss off a higher power and it will want them to go do something for them. (i.e. a side quest) I'm fine with this, but I think it's important concept for a new Judge (and group) to understand.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So far, it has been fairly smooth but that's because the Crypt of the Science Wizard and Portal under the stars are mostly traps. We'll see how smooth I run it if/when we turn to more combat heavy adventures.
You'll do great. It's a smooth system. The hardest part of DCC is all the charts.
After the funnel, the group has had two deaths in two sessions which they seem fine with.

The vibe I'm getting is that they're finding it a refreshing change from our 5e games. We'll see if they're still cool with things moving forward.
As long as they can maintain being cool with all the PC death, it should be fine. That's usually the big sticking point.
Comparing to 5e:
1) The death rate is higher, as expected. The 0 level Funnel really helps with setting this expectation.
Absolutely. There's only so much "no really, your characters will drop like flies" you can convey in conversation. Once you run through a funnel the light blinks on. "Oh...you really meant it when you said the characters would drop like flies."
2) Spell casters are less reliable, which the group is learning the hard way. The wizard Spell burned 6 ability points and still failed. No corruption, misfires, or disapproval luckily for the group.
Yeah, those sting.
3) Luck matters. In the one battle that we've had in Crypt of the SW, the two animated statues focused on the warrior with abysmal Luck (4). He's now dead. Also, characters that had "bad" Luck (8 or lower) were forced to make checks where the others did not.
I love luck in DCC so much. Such a great way to measure so many otherwise immeasurable things. Who will the monster attack, lowest luck. Who was too close to the exploding trap, lowest luck.
4) With all the randomness, jealous deities, and fickle patrons; it's nearly impossible to have a linear adventure (edit} campaign. At some point, a character is going to piss off a higher power and it will want them to go do something for them. (i.e. a side quest) I'm fine with this, but I think it's important concept for a new Judge (and group) to understand.
Definitely. Whether it was intentional or not, DCC seems purpose built for delivering an emergent story.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
@not-so-newguy How are you finding combat in DCC compared to 5e? One issue I have with high-level D&D combat is the waiting-around-for-your turn aspect. Doesn't seem like DCC changes this and when you add in wizard dues and table lookups for crits, etc. I worry it could get even more sloggy than 5e.

Remove ads