• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where to buy classic books in PDF

thol

Explorer
There are a number of places that sell classic AD&D books in PDF form and I wanted to know from any of you out there who have purchased from various sources what the difference from vendor to vendor.

Are the PDF books you buy from RPG Now different from those you get from say Paizo? They are certainly different in price.

Also, are there other vendors who sell old books in PDF as well?

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
www.rpgnow.com sells the same material as www.paizo.com

With Paizo you have to have a watermark that prints out on every page. See the top and bottom of the page. RPGNOW does not have the watermark.

forest_oracle_cover.jpg

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I firmly believe that RPGNow is the place to buy PDF games. Their wide product selection and decision not to tinker with untested copyright protection methods that cripple PDF products or make printing them an exercise in pure frustration won me over long ago.

[Note: I'm not just saying this because I work for RPGNow (if you'd asked me this same question three months ago, I would have had the same answer), although I'm certain that I have some kind of bias in that regard :) ]

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
sad_genius said:
I believe Paizo has corrected a bunch of missing pages from the RPGnow versions.

I don't know that they have. However, they did say they would be correcting errors and adding in things that were missing.

thol

Explorer
There are some books that Paizo sells, such as the 1st ed DMG that says they corrected a missing page.

$1.95 is a pretty big deal if you are buying a number of books, especially if the only difference is the watermarks. (Which, by the way, I don't care about since I happen to work for a software company that writes software that can manipulate PDFs, including removing watermarks and rewriting them to a large number of formats besides, and including, PDF. Not to say that I would ever use it for anything beyond my personal use, i.e. I like the idea of pirates, shivering timbers, and peg legs, but I am not one.)

My biggest concern is to know if there are things like difference in quality of scan or handy things like bookmarks for my extra $1.95.

Phaedrus

First Post
I know you asked for PDFs, but if you can find any of the old AD&D Core Rules CD's, they have the books in RTF.

On my to do list is "Go through all those RTFs and mine them for ideas, etc.", but somehow I never seem to get around to it.

Remove ads