Where to find puzzles for dungeons?

jcayer

Explorer
I love using chess boards. My personal favorite, also stolen from the 7th guest was placing 8 of each piece on without threatening another.
So place 8 rooks on the board so they cannot attack each other. Easy, put them on a diagonal. The Bishops, in a straight line. The knights are fairly easy.

Go try to put 8 queens on a chess board without any of them threatening any other one. After a very enjoyable hour, one player asked if he could make a history check to see if he could remember where some of the pieces went. I gave him 3 pieces. They got it shortly afterward.

If you want the solution, just google 8 queens.

Badwe

First Post
I bought a book of brainteasers and have often drawn inspiration from the Professor Layton series on the DS. The most difficult part is often finding a way to make the puzzle seem relevant/related to the player's environment, and possibly allowing for their skills and stats to figure in.

So far i repurporsed what i later discovered was a "knight's tour" puzzle with a secret message. I justified it by having the thieve's guild resort to puzzles as a way to transmit hidden messages to one another when one of the players seemed intent on infiltrating it.

I also created a research minigame that revolved around the Tower of Hanoi puzzle. I even, with the help of my girlfriend, made little prop books out of clay to use in the puzzle. Perhaps later if there's interest I can post some screenshots.

Crothian

First Post
Yeah, but which ones did you like best: we need titles :D :D

Forget best, the best ones and most popular ones people know about. Here is a book I found earlier this year. It surprised me it had been published in 2000 as I've never seen or heard about it that I could recall. Of course then at Origins I was talking to a friend at her booth and noticed she was selling it though it wasn't done by her company.

The book is Riddle Rooms 3: Past Present and Future and if there is a one and two in the series I've not been able to find them not that I spent any time going out of my way to look. It has 20 full page room riddles designed for any RPG and for use in fantasy, modern, and future settings. There are also four additional smaller puzzles to be used to keep a door secure.

Each riddle has with it hand outs to serve as clues. Some of the riddles are complex and will not be easy. Others I could see how to solve them but it could take a little time with a blank sheet of paper and a pencil to figure it out.

It is published by Cloud Kingdoms Games. In the back of the book it lists 6 other products 5 of them having something to do with riddles.

grodog

Hero
It is published by Cloud Kingdoms Games. In the back of the book it lists 6 other products 5 of them having something to do with riddles.

I have a few of their books, and they're pretty good: they've been around since the '90s IIRC: I'm pretty sure I saw them at GCs in years past.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Who would have ever thought "live" and "evil" had the same letters. D%&^ it.

Mok!

mok21.jpg

Remove ads