• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where would you hide your phylactery

Percivellian

First Post
Our group had this conversation a couple years back. We figured a phylactery as part of a Great Wyrm's treasure horde would do nicely.

darthkilmor

First Post
In your own private demi-plane, that requires a specific spell that only you know to access(and have taken spell mastery for it so as to not leave any copies lying about for annoying adventurereres to find).

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
A dead human body, of course. 200+ bones, make it so that they cannot be located, put various and random wards on them (for example: make a few immune to fire and covered in adamantine and throw them in a valcano, call and bind demons to guard some, ect., and ect.), and scatter them across the planes.

That's what I can think of on the run though.

Wystan

Explorer
I think the best route would be to turn the Phylactery into an artifact that causes an end to disease and causes crops to grow no matter the weather in a 200 mile radius. Then I would make sure that it fell into the hands of a Paladin of a faith that helped others and have it set up as a beacon o good in a community.

Someone

Adventurer
I´d make my phylactery something absolutely common, but at the same time durable, like the adamantine doorknob of the adamantine door near my inner sanctum, or one of the gears in the trap that protects a place near my inner sanctum. The phylactery would receive Nystul´s magic aura spells to nullify it's aura, so it doesn't register as magical.

At the same time I'd have several false phylacteries on places like a hidden demiplane, a dungeon protected by constructs, traps and undead and stable geodes deep underground. I'd research specific spells to defeat divinations that could reveal that those those items are not phylacteries, specially Analyze Dweomer. I'd leave subtle clues, riddles and misinformed minions to reveal the location of those false phylacteries.

Finally, as soon I have the opportunity I'd spend some time deciding how to word a Wish spell with the purpose of foiling any Commune question trying to determine if I've been deeated once and for all to say that efectively, I'm definitely dead and won't reform again.

Sejs

First Post
In one of the foundation stones of a large, popular church.

Built into a golem, that I then cast Imprisonment on.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
One thing I wouldn't do is keep it somewhere so remote that I can't check on it regularly.

No matter how good my anti-divination magics might be, someone might always come up with divination magic that's better. For my own peace of mind, I need to be able to lay hands on it and verify it's still okay pretty often.

Likely I'd just keep it in my lair.

By the way, for the sake of keeping consistent answers to the question, can we assume that "I" was only able to find the standard lich formula that results in a phylactery in the shape of a tiny box, rather than "adamantine peg leg of a pirate" or other such off the wall stuff?

Remove ads