• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where you live: Gamer Paradise or Gamer Wasteland?

mythago said:
Gamer Overkill: You go out to brunch at a little diner and the waitress starts chatting with you about whether she wants to upgrade to 3.5e.

Yes, we are eyeball-deep in geeks of all flavors out here.

Yeppers, I guess that explains why no one seems to be interested in a Fremont ENWorld gameday. Bay Area gamers...

Red Wyrmling

First Post
I live in Belgium, Europe.

The closest gaming store was 50 miles away and just went bankrupt. Ordering books from the US cost's me about50-60$. I would say that Belgium is a gaming wasteland.

On a brighter note, there are gamers a plenty in Ostend, the city I live in. so I would have to admit that we are an oasis of civilization in a desert of emptyness! :lol:

Seattle

Home to WotC, the greater Seattle area is almost by default a Gamer's Paradise. I grew up here and there has never been a shortage of gamers, even back in the day before anyone had heard of "Magic: the Gathering."

Khaalis

Adventurer
Definately a wasteland, at least for adult gamers. In a city of 1.5 million (in the greater metro area) plus roughly 10 universities and we only have 1 game shop and even it is strugling to stay open. The few gamers to be found are students or gaming zealots. :(

MusedFable

First Post
I live in Wausau Wisconsin. What, never heard of it? Get a map find Green Bay, St.Paul/Minneapolis, Madison, and Milwaukee. They should form a nice U shape. I live in the middle of that U. Can’t for the life of me figure out why all the major cities would circle around us? Must be because of all the high class, open-minded, diverse people around here. Okay I’ll stop with the sarcasm.

I’m in a wasteland. It seems nobody in the area has gotten past wargames or first edition yet. Periodically a wargame shop opens and last a year or two and goes under. A card shop just opened and the card game tournaments are almost every day. I can find WotC books, MtG cards, Warhammer and a few others in that shop, or I could drive an hour south and go to a Hobby store that has a slightly larger selection including WhiteWolf, a few GURPS, and some train building supplies :\ .

Though I always have this feeling there are always a few closet gamers lurking around the corner.

MonsterMash

First Post
I think London (UK, not Ontario) probably qualifies as pretty much gamer paradise. Three pretty central games shops with a wide range of RPG stuff, plus quite a few places which sell GW stuff and some WotC stuff. Lots of gamers, only problems can be getting to groups if you live in another side of town as public transport is not always reliable and traffic is pretty dire.

Abdomens

First Post
I'm in a Wasteland. :\

The rare few gamers around would rather play LARP or RPG without any system.
The nearest gamingstore is 15 miles away, but in Germany, so alot of the products are translated from English to German. Not something I want. So for me the nearest proper store is like 100 miles away. :(

Calico_Jack73

First Post
A little of both...

While there are plenty of game stores around the selection of gamers is a little less than what I was expecting. I had a problem player in a game that I ran want to join up in a group I was joining. I also had one of the good players in the game I ran join the same group. It was totally unintentional on both accounts and totally coincidental. Oh well... hopefully it will become a paradise after I meet some local ENWorlders at the DC/VA/MD Gameday. :)

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Wasteland!

My town has no gaming store at all. The only place around here to get any RPG stuff is the local Sam Goody record store, and they only have a few 3.0 books. They do get two copies of Dragon magazine every month, but they don't carry Dungeon. :confused:
As for gamers... None that I have been able to find. I play with one guy from work, and one from two counties away. We alternate the commute to be fair. There may be some closet gamers here, but I have not been able to find them. Oh well. My son is 14 months old, he'll be ready in a few more years. Looks like I'm going to have to grow my own gamers :D

dumbdiety

First Post
It's kind of mixed here in South Florida. We've got plenty of Game Shops, and even chain stores like Waldenbooks have a good selection. The only problem is finding GOOD players who don't bicker over treasure and can agree on a course of action. I swear, all the people I've played with bicker over everything, so now I play on-line with some of my students that have gone on to college.

...so...any GOOD gamers in South Florida that want to play? Specifically in the Hollywood/Pembroke Pines area?

Doug

Remove ads