• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where you live: Gamer Paradise or Gamer Wasteland?

JesterPoet

First Post
Not really sure here. Guess we're sorta in the middle. Though we do have The Source, which is a pretty sweet games and comic store.

Rugger

Explorer
megamania said:
Vermont is a haven for gamers...well maybe not.

We're a bit north of Megamania, in lovely Rutland, Vermont.

This state is a black hole in regards to gaming. ;)

I honestly think that there are MAYBE 3 game store's in the whole dang state. And finding players can be rough (thankfully we have our little crew of 5...formerly 6). We buy everything online or at Waldenbooks, where they know us by name, and order just enough to cover us plus a little more just in case.

Being firmly involved with Living Greyhawk, I keep getting this temptation to try and throw a mini-con and see how many folks are willing to make the drive...

-Rugger
"I LurkInVermont!"

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Trust me, folks as bad a hell you might think you are in, Morgantown has you beat by at least five planar circles in Hell...

Deceitfulelf

First Post
Nm

Las Cruces seems to be a gamer wasteland as well. A very insular gaming community as far as I can tell. I assume you go to COAS as that is the only place I can find any gaming material. They do have a lot of old & out of stock games.

Yep, got it in one. Are there any cons or clubs worth noting that you are aware of? man, you'd think something would hit this area. Hey, are there any ENworlders who live in the Juarez area? If so, where do you shop for games?

Can't speak for Las Cruces or El Paso, but having lived in Alamogordo from '95 to '00 I can say the area is anything but a wasteland. Though I did have the advantage of going thru High School there, there were and still are more gamers per capita then i've seen since. Within my cliche of friends alone are more gamers then you'd want in one gaming session. Lots of good memories with that group. ODROGOMALA!! The only real bad thing about the area is only having COAS as the only psudeo gaming store in the area. Great for OOP and rare books, but not so good about getting the new stuff as it comes out. Great place to check out if ever in the area. If there were better jobs available in the area I'd move back in a heartbeat. Currently live in Salt Lake City and its hard to find any good players in the area, though we have an excellent gaming store...Hastur Hobbies:)

Calico_Jack73

First Post
The_Universe said:
In the DC metro area, as well.

Stores are good, if geographically spread out.

We lucked out and found a great gaming group (of which Laurel is a founding member!) in a little over a month from moving here from South Dakota. The convergence of numerous colleges and universities, a highly transitive population, and reasonably large amounts of disposable income make this a great place to game. Huzzah!

I need to game with you then... I'm the only DM in my group. :(

Calico_Jack73

First Post
derelictjay said:
Is it just me or is most of Texas a gaming wasteland. Most of the post from this little corner of hell (and I say this lovingly) is a wasteland. With the notable exeption of Austin, and everyone that lives in Texas knows Austin is different (thats not bad).

What about you living in Dallas or S.A., I might (stress might) be moving to these places for a job, any life in those cities.

I grew up in Dallas and it is Gaming Mecca. They have a great chain of stores called Lone Star Comics & Games. The gaming was so good that when I moved to Oklahoma City I'd still drive down every weekend for the games.

Edit: Oklahoma City isn't bad either. There aren't a lot of game stores but the ones they do have really support the hobby. I also never had any trouble finding a group to play with. Then again that is true of pretty much any place with a really big Air Force base. San Antonio should be pretty good as there are several Air Force Bases in that one city. Lackland, Brooks, and the Kelly annex.

Last edited:

Grand Harvester

First Post
Gamer Paradise...but it's a given, since I live in the Northern New Jersey/New York City area. Take the PATH train and you can get to Compleat Strategist (the RPG nexus) or Neutral Ground. Or you can drive to Gamemaster or some other gaming stores that dot our NNJ area. As for finding gamers, just check out the bulletin boards in these stores. Finding people is just too easy. A couple of times, gamers came up and tried to recruit me!

Kalendraf

Explorer
Rochester, MN - I'd rank it as borderline wasteland.

I've found numerous players in town and we've got a couple game shops (though one of them is closing) as well as a couple bookstores that carry WotC and a few other d20 products. But the range of inventory at these shops isn't spectacular, and I can't remember there ever being a gaming convention here. Fortunately, we're only an hour or so from the Twin Cities which has a much bigger and better selection of shops.

Arnwyn

First Post
dreaded_beast said:
Why do you think your area is a Gamer Paradise/Gamer Wasteland/or a little bit of both?
Beats me. I only game with long-time friends, and I have no interest in participating in the "D&D community" (ENWorld while at work is the most I'll do).

We do have 2 adequately large gaming stores in one city, so that's not bad.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
UC Davis = Gamers Paradise

UC davis is what I would call a gamer's paradise. There is an on-campus club called DRAGON that owns the second floor of a major bulding on campus every friday night. In essence, it is like having a miniature convention every week, with several new games to join, one shots, board games, etc, aside from the weekly campaigns that run there as well.

The city of Davis, used to have 2 gaming stores, now there is but 1: Bizzaro World. Let me tell you though, there does not need to be anymore! Bizzarro = the bomb. They carry tons of USED OD&D stuff as well as new things. Everytime I go in there, I always come out with some stuff from 1st ed or somehting. They are also current with the new stuff. And, Unlike many other "rpg" stores, they carry MORE THAN JUST D20 stuff! Gurps, Whitewolf, Palladium, etc, all have support from this store-- and that is as it should be. There are more rpgs out there than d20, after all. Heck, the store even carries "Kobolds ate my Baby!"

Between DRAGON and Bizzarro World, Davis = Gamer's Paradise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads