• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where's my D&D Essentials?

bouncyhead

Explorer
Another vote for Leisure Games, as long as you're not discount sensitive.

I pass by Orc's Nest pretty regularly though and tend to pick stuff up as and when. AFAICT they are well stocked with 4E stuff. Their online doesn't seem to keep pace with the store though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at Leisure Games right now. I think I'll cancel my Amazon pre-order and try from there.

Cor_Malek

First Post
Of late I've been getting my fix for the book depository in the uk-

Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game: An Essential D&D Starter by Mike Mearls, Bill Slavicsek, James Wyatt - 9780786956296 at The Book Depository

Sometimes a little cheaper than Amazon (there or thereabouts) and always free postage (anywhere in the world- or so they say).

I'm completely up to date with the Essential fare.

Goonalan

Damn, I'm so grateful for this link :) Polish book market is a joke, especially when it comes to books in English (actually same prices for translated, much more for those in original - despite the income discrepancy). Delivery cost was the only reason why I still buy books locally.

PS.: I just checked, and I can get PF APG delivered to me for less than I'd pay at my local store. Heck, if I knew earlier and bought core book there, I'd have saved 5 pounds on that (even though my local store offers it at discount (supposedly) :) ).

Thanks Goonalan! (although my wallet wept ;-) ).

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at Leisure Games right now. I think I'll cancel my Amazon pre-order and try from there.
I bought from oryan77's RPG Locker , and I can attest that his service is speedy and reliable. If my books haven't arrived yet, I blame my local post office.

IronWolf

blank
Granted I have a many more options available to me, but I rarely pre-order RPG books from Amazon even in the US. They seem to be delayed frequently and if I am actually in a hurry for something I tend to pay a little more and get it from someplace other than them. Now once a product has been released, as long as Amazon says it is in stock then I've had good luck getting it quite quickly from them, it is just the pre-orders that seem hit or miss.

Jor-El

First Post
Granted I have a many more options available to me, but I rarely pre-order RPG books from Amazon even in the US. They seem to be delayed frequently and if I am actually in a hurry for something I tend to pay a little more and get it from someplace other than them. Now once a product has been released, as long as Amazon says it is in stock then I've had good luck getting it quite quickly from them, it is just the pre-orders that seem hit or miss.

1000 times this. Amazon is great if you want the discount, or if its something that's already in stock. If you want it right away though, its better to seek it out through normal retail channels.

I've come to realize that if I want the discount through Amazon, I have to be prepared to wait for it.

Holy Bovine

First Post
When did you get your D&D Essntials book? Was it through one of those "preferential" stores?

Yup - that is exactly where I got my Rules Compendium. They had them on sale day after Labour Day (Sept 6?7?) but I didn't get mine until a week later. Love the support WotC is throwing towards the local game shop myself but really sympathize for those poor gamers that don't have a local store. Glad I'm not at the mercy of Amazon.ca's bizarre shipping and release dates anymore (they once told my friend that book he wanted hadn't been published yet even though their own release date for it was a month in the past and the book was on regular bookstore shelves) and my FLGS still has a competitive price (US cover + 5% in CAN$ then get a frequent buyer card good for 10% off your next purchase).

ourchair

First Post
I think I'm the last person in the world to see these books. I've seen reviews for the last couple of months, everyone's talking about them - and my Amazon pre-order made many months ago still hasn't arrived.

I don't have an FLGS. Am I doomed to be two months behind the curve on D&D books forever? By the time I get them and want to start talking about them, everyone else will be talking about the next thing.

When did you get your D&D Essntials book? Was it through one of those "preferential" stores?
That totally isn't fair.

I live in the Philippines, and our POLYHEDRAL raffle giveaway copy for Heroes of the Fallen Lands arrived through Amazon two nights ago.

Stormonu

Legend
I was a little surprised our local BAM had in multiple copies - usually it's about a month late on getting RP stuff.

I am further surprised that the RC & Heroes books are manga-sized books. I thought they'd be full sized hardcovers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads