• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where's the Bard?

jeff37923

First Post
I'm coming to the party a little late, but I'm wondering why the Bard isn't one of the Core Classes fpr 4E listed?

They have been jack-of-all-trades types, and as such helped to define the other Core Classes by showing what they are not. So I'm wondering where the Bard is going to be in the 4E future.

Klaus

First Post
jeff37923 said:
I'm coming to the party a little late, but I'm wondering why the Bard isn't one of the Core Classes fpr 4E listed?

They have been jack-of-all-trades types, and as such helped to define the other Core Classes by showing what they are not. So I'm wondering where the Bard is going to be in the 4E future.
Sorry to break the news for you, but Bards won't be in the first Player's Handbook, as far as we can tell. It seems it will return in a later supplement focused on the "Arcane" power source.

Until then, you can make do with a mix of Rogue (for the swashbuckling), Warlord (for the inspirational bits) and Wizard (or Warlock with Fey pact) levels (for the magical bit).

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Klaus said:
Sorry to break the news for you, but Bards won't be in the first Player's Handbook, as far as we can tell. It seems it will return in a later supplement focused on the "Arcane" power source.

Until then, you can make do with a mix of Rogue (for the swashbuckling), Warlord (for the inspirational bits) and Wizard (or Warlock with Fey pact) levels (for the magical bit).
For a straight-up bard, I'd play a warlord myself, just picking skills that skewed musical. Then maybe retconning the PC if a good bard class comes out later.

For a jack-of-all trades type, I'm not sure what's available yet. Probably Rogue with some Wizard multi-classing thrown in.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
The bard is also rumored to be on tap for the arcane leader class. So not as much Jack of all master of none, but definately keeping with the inspiration.

Khaalis

Adventurer
There are basically 2 schools of thoughts on how we will see the bard.

School 1) Arcane Leader - released either in an "Arcane" splatbook or as a DDI release to the PHB.

School 2) From hints in Races & Classes some believe the Bard will be released in PHB2 as part of the "Primal" (a.k.a. nature) power source that is hinted at containing the Barbarian (is to Druid as Paladin is to Cleric) and Druid. Sorcerer is also hinted at as being more Primal power source than Arcane with "wild" powers and a direct link to the Elemental Chaos.

My vote is that the Bard will likely be a DDI release for the PHB. They will need some really heavy hitting material to draw people to the DDI expansion content, and bringing in some of the dropped classes makes a lot of sense with Bard (arcane leader) and Monk (martial striker or controller) coming back for classes and possibly Gnome for races. However, they could hold out and try to use these classes as selling points for splat book expansions to the Power Sources. However, if they do, I have no idea what they could offer of enough value to convince people to pay for the DDI content.

JMHO.

EATherrian

First Post
This is something I'm wondering too. I know the Bard won't make the initial cut, but hopefully it is not too long of a wait. I mostly DM, but when I play I love playing Bards.

Remove ads