• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Alignment is the hardest to play/follow ?

Hardest Alignment to play/follow ?

• Lawful Good

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Lawful Evil

• Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • True Neutral

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • ever present \"other\"

Rashak Mani

First Post
Wondering what people think is the hardest alignment to play ?

We get so many chances to try out LG that even if it merits being considered "difficult" to play, we are used to it. True Neutral might in theory be difficult... but my Dwarf has followed his alignment pretty well. Playing well evil PCs seems in theory hard to do well when not LE... What about the Chaotic Good is it played like a rowdy do-gooder too often ?

So which alignment is impossible ? Very Hard or difficult ?

Last edited:

mindqwerk

First Post
Hmmm... after looking at them, I realized that none of them seem hard to play - I couldn't really make a choice.

Not that I think I'm the best roleplayer, but they all pose an equal difficulty to me... If I was absolutely forced to choose one I would say C-N just for the numerous arguments over how it SHOULD be played...

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
true neutral..keeping the balance of good vs evil..law and chaos is waaayy tooo much overhead..give me the alignment of greed, power, and treachery and I will be set (NE)...

Wolfen Priest

First Post
I'm telling you right now *with authority* you are all wrong (so far). ;)

The answer (upon reflection) is neutral evil. Think about it. Pure Evil. It's not Lawful Good, society rewards such people. But being pure evil, not just tacking "NE" on your character sheet, but truly playing it correctly, would end up making you at least a good few serious enemies.

Think about it. Being evil (and dealing with the results of it) is harder than being good.

ATO_DM

First Post
Chaotic Nuetral is definitely the hardest to play correctly. Too many people take it as a free ticket to take any action they wish. This (at least in my experience) has always been a justification by poor players to act in an evil manner. The chaotic part is easy. The neutral part isn't.

Zerovoid

First Post
Wolfen Priest said:

The answer (upon reflection) is neutral evil. Think about it. Pure Evil. It's not Lawful Good, society rewards such people. But being pure evil, not just tacking "NE" on your character sheet, but truly playing it correctly, would end up making you at least a good few serious enemies.

Think about it. Being evil (and dealing with the results of it) is harder than being good.

But, NE means watching out for yourself first and foremost, so if your character is best off by acting LG when its convenient, and letting society reward him for it, then thats the right way to play your character.

phoamslinger

Explorer
I agree,
NE isn't that hard. all you have to do is be totally absorbed in yourself (with a healthy dose of amorality tossed in). this isn't necessarily bad, but it is usually interpreted as bad by those less-understanding of your easy going philosophy.

the hard one is CE.
CE characters are about confrontation and control, which is disruptive to any party setup. "Give me what I want or I'll break your skull!" people resent this stuff a lot, which in turn generates a lot of noisy conflict (both in and out of game).

NE characters just ask for the item, expecting it to be freely given. and if it's not, you just kill the other player's character in their sleep while you're on guard duty and take the item. much more peaceful that way.

:eek:

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Wolfen Priest said:

I agree - I voted Neutral Evil. They make great NPCs, but playing a PC with no redeeming qualities _at all_ is hard to imagine. My NE NPCs are death cultists, the Red Wizards of Hel, and other epitomes of foulness - they make the CE Chaos Horde 'free spirits' and LE Bloodsword Knight 'honorable warriors' look positively cuddly!

rounser

First Post
But, NE means watching out for yourself first and foremost, so if your character is best off by acting LG when its convenient, and letting society reward him for it, then thats the right way to play your character.
It amuses me that people let evil characters do good to "keep up appearances", but don't let good characters do evil.

R.X.DIEM

First Post
lawful good sucks

I've been playing a Lawful good cleric for a while now. I love playing him, but his "goodness" sometimes (often) get in the way of some good ole fashioned graverobbin, womenizing, ale chugging, backstabbin kind of fun. When I play him I really do have a ball! I do try to play him exactly as a holy(L.G.)man should be,and I know that it has caused many in-character conflicts, again he is alot of fun to play! But in those times between games when I update his sheets, I sometimes wish I were playing a L.N. or C.N. character. I think of all the goodies he would grab and all the trouble he could create! I'm sure sooner or later I'll have the chance But for now I'm very happy playing my Kick- ass cleric of COREAN to his fullest, I hope he will make it to EPIC levels, but in my opinion, Lawful Good (after a while) is difficult and almost straining. Thanks for listening! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads