• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which 'Campaign Classics' would you buy?

Which 'Campaign Classic' would you buy

• Poll closed .

Etan Moonstar

First Post
I voted for Greyhawk (although the LGG was good, so I could do without this one), Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Mystara (which includes Hollow World and Red Steel, which I did not vote for as they don't really deserve their own book imho--shame on you for listing these two sub-Mystaran settings separately but not listing Al-Qadim separately!), Birthright, and Other with Planescape and Al-Qadim in mind. I like mining campaign settings for ideas, and one-shot books make it easier for me to accumulate a variety of them without the cost of supporting an ongoing product line (so while I never bought a pre-3E Dark Sun, Mystara, or Birthright product as my limited gaming funds were going elsewhere, I'd snatch up one-shots of these in a heartbeat, especially with the old .pdfs available as further resources).

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I voted BirthRight, Dark Sun, Planescape and Spelljammer...

Spelljammer would greatly depend on how they did it. If it was like the original version (Space Hamsters, Giff, and all that general sillyness) then no. If it were more like the Dungeon/Polyhedron version, then hell yes!

In general, I think the idea of doing one-shot campaign books is great!

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Never heard of these: ... Red Steel.

Red Steel, also known as the Savage Coast, was the setting on the southwestern coast of Brun in Mystara. The Known World (those areas covered in the Gazetteer series) was on the southeast portion of the same continent. So why they decided to name it a different thing is beyond me (another of the exceedingly long list of how TSR botched the Mystara 2e products).

The region was originally described in Bruce Heard's Voyage of the Princess Ark and Known World Grimoire articles in Dragon circa '91 - '94. These were reprinted in much abreviated form in the Champions of Mystara box set for Rules Cyclopedia-era D&D. Then the area was brutalized in a couple boxed sets for 2e and then again in some on-line products, which I believe are still available for download from the Wizzo's. Ah... here it is: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Scroll down to the "Savage Coast Campaign setting." Download at your own risk. Personally, I think the Bruce Heard stuff was far, far better, and it's available in its entirety on the Dragon CD-ROM archive.

R.A.

JoAT

First Post
Planescape of course, Spelljammer... And... The Savage Coast (the sub-sub-setting available for free on the Wizards web-site so brutally reviewed above)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
glass said:
EDIT: I didn't include Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur or Maztica as if they reappeared it could conceivably be as part of the FR line, and besides the poll was long enough already.

I would likely get those three and Planescape + the selections I made. Dark Sun would be one of my favorite choices, although there really isn't a need for a Dark Sun 3.5e book, as the fan conversion at the Burnt World of Athas website is excellent.

My other selections are Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Known World/Mystara, Council of Wyrms, Hollow World, and Red Steel, in that order.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
glass said:
Oh, forgot about Taladas too. Mindyou, could already be covered by the existing Dragonlance licence.

It's covered. There have been rumblings about a Taladas source book by Sov Press at some point, but their plate is rather full right now...

Pants

First Post
Probably Planescape or Dark Sun.

God... I never realized just how many settings TSR put out back in the day...

Incenjucar

Legend
Dude, next time you do a poll, do some research first.

Planescape is one of the most-often demanded-for settings, as is Arabian Adventures, to a slightly lesser degree.

Remove ads