• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which character sounds the most fun

Which character sounds the most fun

• Castle

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Archie

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Samus

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Poll closed .

Starfox

Hero
I'd like to point out that hunting and killing followers of vecna is about as morally ambiguous as hunting pedophiles would be here on Earth. It might be imbalanced and illegal but it's not psycopathic. He's not Dexter, he doesn't have to kill. He probably enjoys it much more than he has to, but he isn't compelled to do it impulsively.

murdering followers of Vecna

Hunting and murdering pedophiles RL is not morally ambiguous at all - it is outright evil. That is pretty much the definition of murder. Same with followers of Vecna. Psychopathic might be a stretch, but any non-psychopath who is a habitual killer is likely to be quite deranged in other ways. In RPGs this kind of behavior is often acceptable, it is a kind of "war on terror", but the villain is generally killed resisting arrest which makes it not murder. To use the word murder as the OP did shows me this guy is going to extremes.

Flipguarder

First Post
meh, if murdering pedophiles (and i mean like repeat offenders who are also not nice about it) was legal me and my friends might go hunting once in a while. So your evil is my juicy justice. Probably makes me imbalanced but again... meh.

I'm totally willing to accept that he (or I) is imbalanced and probably has some mental issues, but being psychopathic is completely different.

Ryujin

Legend
Hunting and murdering pedophiles RL is not morally ambiguous at all - it is outright evil. That is pretty much the definition of murder. Same with followers of Vecna. Psychopathic might be a stretch, but any non-psychopath who is a habitual killer is likely to be quite deranged in other ways. In RPGs this kind of behavior is often acceptable, it is a kind of "war on terror", but the villain is generally killed resisting arrest which makes it not murder. To use the word murder as the OP did shows me this guy is going to extremes.

Moral ambiguity has been around since long before Oedipus slept with his mother. Some people like to play a Jack Bauer/Mike Hammer because justice is never that cut and dried, nor swift and decisive in real life. The "Assassin for Good" is a staple in fantasy fiction.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
meh, if murdering pedophiles (and i mean like repeat offenders who are also not nice about it) was legal me and my friends might go hunting once in a while. So your evil is my juicy justice. Probably makes me imbalanced but again... meh.
Just to drag this thread back on topic, my current BBEG uses exactly this mentality as a tool of oppression. "Mob justice" is a great way to turn upstanding citizens into the worst kind of murderous scum: the righteous kind.

He's cultivating a huge string of Yozi cults among the citizens of Varangia, and also encouraging laws that punish Yozi cult affiliation with enslavement. His forces frame anyone who comes too close to the conspiracy, but refuses to join -- and then he buys the enslaved, and uses the genuine Yozi cultists as foremen (if any are caught), while forcing the innocent victims to become low-ranking Yozi worshipers.

Basically, he's cultivating a culture where a bit of mis-information can lead to the swift social and physical destruction of anyone (including the innocent). Since it's impossible to prove that you are NOT a Yozi cultist, he's got a pretty fool-proof accusation mechanism.

Beware of such impulses in real life. They are not to the benefit of a free society.

I'm totally willing to accept that he (or I) is imbalanced and probably has some mental issues, but being psychopathic is completely different.
Killing people is gross and messy. There are no good smells associated with this act.

If you enjoy it, there is something wrong with you, or you are a fictional character in a world very much unlike our own. Or both.

Cheers, -- N

Flipguarder

First Post
I don't know how to respond to that post without possibly irritating the powers that be and getting even more off-topic so I won't except for this little blurb explaining why I'm not actually responding to your post.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'd like to point out that hunting and killing followers of vecna is about as morally ambiguous as hunting pedophiles would be here on Earth. It might be imbalanced and illegal but it's not psycopathic. He's not Dexter, he doesn't have to kill. He probably enjoys it much more than he has to, but he isn't compelled to do it impulsively.

Ah bummer, if he hasn't found a Vecna follower within a time period he starts to loose his touch (trouble channelling the divine?).... could indeed be wicked ;-). Dexter getting wiggy if he cant find suitable slime to slay is a bizzare but interesting feature of the show.

I am still thinking character disadvantages have a potential.. done right. (like in fate where you get a point when your feature becomes a hassle for the character or can spend one to have that feature gain you a suitable benefit).

You got me thinking about psycho characters for D&D now ... thanks ;-)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads