• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which class would YOU step into?

You're going to take on the role of ...

• Mage

Votes: 109 53.2%
  • Cleric

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Warrior

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Thief

Votes: 29 14.1%

SubMensa

First Post
Mage:
I know for a fact that in the thick of things I could not spout off the Gettysburg Address, the Preamble to the Constitution, or the Magna Carta. All of which I was forced to memorize at one point or another in school. There is no way that I would be able to properly enunciate a made up string of sylabals in order to cast a spell.

Cleric:
Here I would be too busy healing myself or laughing at the misfortunes of my teammates in order to be effective. I just don't have the personality to help out in this way. I'm not saying I'm not a team player, just don't depend on me to bring you back from the dead.

Warrior:
Hrmmmm.... Closer to the mark here. Though I'm not as good with the larger heavier weapons, and the armor would kill me before my enemy.

Thief:
Ahhhhh, the perfect fit. Though I'm a bit big to be a sneak thief at 6' even. I am pretty good at slinking about. In my group of friends I have the best spot check in real life. I am also pretty decent fighting two weapon style with what would equate to two short swords.

That makes it theif for me, or possibly fighter/thief if multiclassing is allowed.

Driddle

First Post
James Heard said:
Since we're talking Dream Park, I'd be the Gamemaster. Seriously, that's where the money is and the only place where I'd be truly happy creatively. Plus I read those books, playing the games is dangerous. Gamemasters get to keep the airconditioning on.

Bonus points to you for sticking to the question as it was intended.

Driddle

First Post
SubMensa said:
Mage:
I know for a fact that in the thick of things I could not spout off the Gettysburg Address, the Preamble to the Constitution, or the Magna Carta. All of which I was forced to memorize at one point or another in school. There is no way that I would be able to properly enunciate a made up string of sylabals in order to cast a spell. ...

And points to you for addressing the elements of actually casting -- or at least roleplaying the casting -- of spells on the fly.

Mercule

Adventurer
Warrior. I seem to have a natural knack with the use of long, pokey things. The mindset works for me, too. For an expanded class list, I'd go with Barbarian, 'cause I'm not a big fan of being encumbered, but I do likes me the big weapons -- bastard swords just feel right.

Second choice would be Cleric. I'm pretty well studied in theology, philosophy, and politics (seeing as how my degree is in politics and philosophy). Plus, in a pinch, there's always the chance to pull out a warhammer on some poor SOB.

Galethorn

First Post
Warrior.

I'm tall, I'm strong, I have a firm understanding of tactics and I'm at least half way towards getting that Martial Weapon Proficiency...

Now, that said, I'd definately go barbarian if there was an expanded class list. Long story short, my size and strength caters towards being particularly aggressive, since there's too much of me to easily defend, and I'm apparently somewhat frightening with a two-handed weapon in hand, especially when I'm mad...I've show the obvious effects of Rage on more than one occasion, including various feats involving the movement of heavy objects, the chopping through of very thick vegetation (small trees...with a bastard sword), and hitting a helmeted friend so hard in the head with a boffer (padded practice 'sword') that he saw funny colors. Oh, and I'm fairly impervious to pain when I'm really mad.

Now, I'm also fairly inactive, so my endurance is somewhat lacking, but I think after a month of regular jogging I'd be more than ready to be a warrior. Now, the problem is that the 'trusty steed' I'm most used to is a 1987 Volve station-wagon, so I'd definately have to go the footman's route.

dvvega

Explorer
Since Bard isn't offered I would be all of the above but only low levels in all.

In real life I'm a Jack of All Trades ... and the Bard suits me just fine.

The closest to that in your list is Rogue (skills, some combat ability, etc etc).

D

Runesong42

First Post
I'd go Cleric as first choice, followed by (or in addition to Cleric) Mage, probably specializing in Enchantment/Charm school or Conjuration. I hate the way magic works in Core D&D, so having the option to change any memorized spell into a Cure spell works great for me. Good luck getting me into Plate Mail, tho.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Easy, easy question for me as a boffer LARPer, because I've personally gotten to play everything except a rogue in larps. This has taught me that my True Nature is a scholarly-type cleric who likes to beat people up when it becomes absolutely necessary. I've been playing this character type for seven years. I love it.

Haven

Shadowdancer

First Post
Of those choices, it would have to be mage. I have the memory and interest in the esoteric for it.

I'm pretty sneaking and good with my hands, but I'm a little big to be a thief.

Not in good enough physical shape to be a warrior.

Not interested in being a cleric.

arscott

First Post
Driddle said:
But when it came time to participate with others on quest, could you (and others who picked mage) actually perform your spells in front of others with any grace?

I see a few brainy responses here -- no insult directed at you, IW -- who say they'd be best suited to the magic-studying life of a mage. And in a tabletop game, all we have to do is declare, "I cast Such-and-Such spell!" But in a real action scenario, with casting performance on the line? ... I have healthy doubts.

Sorry, folks, but it's fighter and thief for most of ya, with cleric close behind.

It's been a while since I read Dream Park. I don't exactly recall how the DPers cast spells. But at the same time, I'm a Theater Arts major and former Comp Sci-er. So whether it be speaking long strings of memorized words or manipulating pseudo-mathematical symbols to achieve a desired result, I think I've pretty much got it covered.

If this were a matter of reality, and not one of High-tech LARPing, I'd still probably be a mage. But I'd be more about theoretical research than wandering around tropical islands looking for the McGuffin.

Remove ads