D&D 5E Which classes would you like to see added to D&D 5e, if any? (check all that apply)

Which class(es) would you like to see added?

• All of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Artificier

Votes: 99 43.0%
  • Alchemist

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • Duskblade (Arcane Fighter base class)

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Jester

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Knight

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Mystic

Votes: 72 31.3%
  • Ninja

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Pirate

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Prophet

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Shaman

Votes: 66 28.7%
  • Summoner

Votes: 49 21.3%
  • Warlord

Votes: 90 39.1%
  • Witch

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • None, it's perfect the way it is!

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 35 15.2%

Sacrosanct

Legend
I voted it’s fine like it is because pretty much every concept there could be done (and in many cases has been done) via a subclass and feat options.

Don't mention the War (Lord), I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it! I also agree with a better necromancer concept/base class. I know summoner is a popular concept and all, but have yet to see one that doesn't slow that player's turn to a crawl...

Slit518

Adventurer
I could potentially...maybe...see a Lycanthrope "class", where each sub-class was for a specific form.

It raises a host of problems and paradoxes, but the only other solution would be to make it a race, and racial benefits aren't strong enough to really make a great Were-something.

Isn't the Shifter a race that kind of does this? I know it was in 3rd edition, but is it something available in 5th edition? I don't believe so.

What about a set of feats that chain together to make a Lycanthorpe" type of character?

Although the Witch could be covered in several different current flavours: Druid, Warlock etc., (should there be a comma after a full stop there?),?, a dedicated class might be interesting.

I know that there is a lot of support/interest for the dedicated Warlord Class and am unsure why WOTC are digging their heels in over just designing this class for the fans. It is wanted, so just bite the bullet and do it. Strange one, this.

I feel a Warlord would be a mix of Valor Bard & Battle-Master Fighter.

Don't mention the War (Lord), I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it! I also agree with a better necromancer concept/base class. I know summoner is a popular concept and all, but have yet to see one that doesn't slow that player's turn to a crawl...

A way for a viable Summoner would be for a max amount of creatures being able to take their turns on it's turn, while other creatures beyond the maximum are just "Reactionary" creatures, aka they are just there in case they need to use their Reaction to attack a passing enemy on it's way to the Summoner in question.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A Warlord is a guy who does not use magic but gets some cool results.
- Give his friend (who has a BIGGER beatstick than he does) an extra wallop on their enemy. Likely replacing his own (inferior) attack
- Healing capability, probably tied to carrying a Medical Kit; not that different from requiring clerics to carry Holy Symbols
- Emergency movement, either in an 'everybody back in formation' (all allies move a little) format, or in the 'you get over THERE ya big lug' (one guy moves a lot) format
- Remove one or two debilitating conditions per fight
(Yes I realize that the 4e Warlord REQUIRES a grid whereas 5e encourages 'theater of the mind'.)

I'd like to see a new class that is more of a zone / controller type. They set - or remake - the stage so their allies can better cope with the enemy.
- a Witch might also have a lot of Fear spells that leave an enemy (several at higher levels) unable to act for a few rounds
- my 4e Druid (for Dark Sun) was wind-themed and could create 1/day a "WWF Cage Match" effect.
- no DPR King -candidate spells, many debilitating conditions spread around the enemy - plus some way to make the Saving Throws harder so they are not just shrugged off.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Although the Witch could be covered in several different current flavours: Druid, Warlock etc., (should there be a comma after a full stop there?),?, a dedicated class might be interesting.

I know that there is a lot of support/interest for the dedicated Warlord Class and am unsure why WOTC are digging their heels in over just designing this class for the fans. It is wanted, so just bite the bullet and do it. Strange one, this.

Well, I imagine that they have had to wait until the very mention of a Warlord class stops spontaneously creating throngs of pitchfork armed, torch carrying edition warriors who cannot bear the very thought that someone else might like something that they don't.

Maybe in another couple of years. :erm:

Shiroiken

Legend
The only class I actually expect to see added is one not mentioned: the Psion, or some variation thereof. I think there's a place for a half-caster warrior (Duskblade) to balance the Paladin and Ranger. The Bard probably should have been that niche, but whatever.

Arilyn

Hero
And, if you are looking for more classes, EN World's Touch of Class is a very good book. Our table is having a lot of fun with it. I'm finding a lot of 3rd party stuff to be cool and useful.

As far as the Warlord goes, I too am puzzled by WOTC' s reluctance. Even if Mearls dislikes the concept, it's definitely a fan favourite, so why not?

Einlanzer0

Explorer
An arcane half-caster, a witch, a shaman, and a warlord. That would cover just about everything I think. Pretty much everything else could be done through subclasses.

Remove ads