D&D 5E Which classes would you like to see added to D&D 5e, if any? (check all that apply)

Which class(es) would you like to see added?

• All of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Artificier

Votes: 99 43.0%
  • Alchemist

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • Duskblade (Arcane Fighter base class)

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Jester

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Knight

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Mystic

Votes: 72 31.3%
  • Ninja

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Pirate

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Prophet

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Shaman

Votes: 66 28.7%
  • Summoner

Votes: 49 21.3%
  • Warlord

Votes: 90 39.1%
  • Witch

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • None, it's perfect the way it is!

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 35 15.2%

mellored

Legend
I was kidding, a commentary on the situation while throwing a jab at myself, you know hypocritical humor...
That's still my honest answer.

I wasn't looking to make money. (Particularly since I only get 50%), I was looking to get a realistic sense of my abilities. I would like to write something significant in the future, and I want to know how much more skill I need to develop before I can do so succesfully.

Anyways, enough about me.

What do people have in mind when they say "Artificer"?

mellored

Legend
With these in account, I believe that we could explain better the disparity we see: we have lack of heroic prototypes and a general distrust of firearms, and they have a very positive reaction and several mythos about them.
No reason you couldn't have "gunslinger" as a bad guy as well as a good guy.

Even in the US mythos, it's evil gunslingers (bandits, outlaws, gangsters, cattle thieves)
vs good gunslingers (sheriffs, police, regular farmers protecting their land).

I voted for Alchemist and Artificer, but i would prefer if they were included as one class which is an arcane half-caster (5 lvls + cantrips), that is Int based.
That is what I ended up doing in the end: changing the class to a half-caster and moving the Mechanical servant into a subclass based more on the Revised Beastmaster Ranger.

Other subclasses could be inspired by genres like magitech, steampunk and maybe dieselpunk.
To me, the artificer should be magitech first and foremost because of its place in the setting that I associate it with. Other variants may fit other settings, but I'll always view it as the Eberron concept. :)

I liked your warlock-like artificer idea, although I don't quite like the gunsmith idea. I'm a bit surprised that it's that needed such type of character, but I feel like it is a cultural thing: mostly an USA trait. In the Hispanic community isn't near that popular. In Argentina and Spain, at least, doesn't have any popularity. I don't mean to disrespect, it's only that most of us don't see gunmen as heroic at all, we see them as bullies and cowards, without anything to do in our fantasy worlds.

Enviado desde mi XT1063 mediante Tapatalk
That . . . actually makes a lot of sense.

I removed the Gunsmith just because it didn't have a place in the setting I run, but adjusting it to fit a wand- or staff-blaster was extremely simple.

Slit518

Adventurer
The 4 most popular class options thus far are:

1 - Artificer with 148 votes
2 - Warlord with 125 votes
3 - Shaman with 98 votes
4 - Mystic with 92 votes

The 4 least popular class options thus far are:

1 - Gladiator with 23 votes
2 - Prophet with 16 votes
3 - Samurai with 15 votes
4 - Jester with 12 votes

Most of them can, and therefore should, be subclasses.

I didn't vote for mystic because the current UA version is horribly broken. I would like to see the return of psionics though, since they have been a part of D&D since 1st edition. It's about the only thing that actually warrants a new base class. So "other" = psion.

I've actually playetested the UA Artificer/Alchemist too, and that is also horrible, being both overpowered, outdoing rogues at their own game, and boring to play.

I voted for shaman, but it could be done as a sorcerer subclass (with access to the druid spell list).

Last edited:

I've actually playetested the UA Artificer/Alchemist too, and that is also horrible, being both overpowered, outdoing rogues at their own game, and boring to play.
Interesting. Other than the Mechanical Servant, which is generally acknowledged as borked, what did you find were issues with it?
How did it outdo Rogues?

Interesting. Other than the Mechanical Servant, which is generally acknowledged as borked, what did you find were issues with it?
How did it outdo Rogues?

We only played it from level 3-4, whilst the party sorcerer was captured by red wizards. No one had any interest in keeping the character around for longer.

Issues:

* Ridiculous amount of out-of-combat utility. Can pick locks, disarm traps, identify magic items, detect magic, heal and (in our adventure) use acid to dissolve hinges on doors.

* Really dull in combat. Throw a flask of acid, throw a flask of fire, or shoot a crossbow. All for trivial effect.

* Infinite flasks/ingredients hurt suspension of disbelief.

* Healing flasks where difficult to keep track of.

* Spell list. Why have this at all?

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Mystic and Shaman, although I accept that either could be worked into an existing class as a subclass (moreso for shaman than for mystic, though)>

I second or third or whatever the inclusion of Illusionist. That, too, could be a subclass.

Remove ads