• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D Settings Do You Play In?

Over on the right of the news page is a new poll which asks which D&D setting you currently play in. Obviously WotC has its own survey data, and we know from that that 55% of people use home-brew settings, 35% play in the Realms, 5% in Greyhawk, and the remaining 5% is divided between the rest. I figured it would be fun to see how closely EN World's members track to that overall survey; how closely to we represent the official data? To that end, I've listed a number of settings. The question is what you PLAY in? It's not "what would you LIKE to play in", or "what would you like to see more support for?" -- it's what are you PLAYING in right now? I know some folks have more than one game going and they may be different settings. That's why I've allowed a choice of three in the poll. If you have four or more games in multiple settings -- well, I'm envious. I took the list from the Wikipedia page of 25 settings, so if you're mad and incensed about the list or its ordering or whatever (because Internet) blame Wikipedia! Some settings incorporate others (Kara-Tur is in the Realms, for example), but I"m keeping it simple with the top level list.

Over on the right of the news page is a new poll which asks which D&D setting you currently play in. Obviously WotC has its own survey data, and we know from that that 55% of people use home-brew settings, 35% play in the Realms, 5% in Greyhawk, and the remaining 5% is divided between the rest. I figured it would be fun to see how closely EN World's members track to that overall survey; how closely to we represent the official data? To that end, I've listed a number of settings. The question is what you PLAY in? It's not "what would you LIKE to play in", or "what would you like to see more support for?" -- it's what are you PLAYING in right now? I know some folks have more than one game going and they may be different settings. That's why I've allowed a choice of three in the poll. If you have four or more games in multiple settings -- well, I'm envious. I took the list from the Wikipedia page of 25 settings, so if you're mad and incensed about the list or its ordering or whatever (because Internet) blame Wikipedia! Some settings incorporate others (Kara-Tur is in the Realms, for example), but I"m keeping it simple with the top level list.

Here's what WotC's survey says we play (that data comes from Chris Perkin's panel at Gamehole Con). Let's see how closely we match it. The survey is on the right hand side of the news page, or it's at the top of the discussion thread, depending where/how you're viewing this.

11231702_920484238032866_618281623657537775_o.png

Xavian Starsider

First Post
I believe Chris Perkins, but I think the data is very skewed by the fact that they've only really supported Forgotten Realms in the last few years.

It's like asking which came first: the chicken or the egg. Are people mostly playing Forgotten Realms because WotC supports it or does WotC support it because it's what most people play? Morrus set up this poll to answer exactly that question. To see if the answers here correlate to WotC's and so far, they do.

There's a lot of intelligent people on these forums. Look at all those game systems that people are playing. Nearly everything on the list has at least 1 vote. Even Ghostwalk! I haven't seen any 5th edition support for Ghostwalk. We're capable of playing in the worlds we want to play in.

Personally, I think it's very credible that WotC is correct that Forgotten Realms sells better than the rest. I mean, look at the novel lineup. Look at the videogames. Neverwinter (FR) is much more popular than D&D Online (Eberron).

WotC/Hasbro have done their homework. If they thought a significant enough percentage of us were all screaming "Take my money!" they'd give us something for it. Wizards of the Coast does a poll every time they release a book. It's called units sold. They don't have to ask. They have hard numbers to back them up.

As was pointed out 4E supported Realms, Eberron and Dark Sun and even with all the horrible things done to the Realms, its fans stood by it. That popular Neverwinter MMO is even rooted in 4th edition and still thrives. If the other settings had as many fans showing up for the party, we'd be seeing more active support from the game, the computer games and the novels.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkplaneDM

Villager
Morrus set up this poll to answer exactly that question. To see if the answers here correlate to WotC's and so far, they do.

Agreed that the polls reflect the state of play. Makes sense to me, and I'm totally behind the effort to test the hypothesis.

We're capable of playing in the worlds we want to play in.

As was pointed out 4E supported Realms, Eberron and Dark Sun and even with all the horrible things done to the Realms, its fans stood by it. That popular Neverwinter MMO is even rooted in 4th edition and still thrives. If the other settings had as many fans showing up for the party, we'd be seeing more active support from the game, the computer games and the novels.

Absolutely. I'm no Realms hater. But I think it's a bit more complex than saying FR is the most popular because of the setting's intrinsic draw. There are a lot of products that have made the Realms more accessible to audiences that might otherwise default to something else: the Baldur's Gate games, the novels, and the sheer amount of D&D IP connected to FR. Fourth Edition may have supported all three settings, but there have been long periods of near-exclusivity for the Realms. I just have a feeling that if suddenly, cold-turkey, all products were Eberron for 3 years, WotC wouldn't lose as many customers as you'd think. And a lot more people would be playing Eberron.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I think these polls will just end up telling WotC "See, most people are playing homebrews or the Realms, this poll is proof," which is what makes these specific polls bad polls because they will then most likely say "Let's just focus most of our attention on the Realms because most people are playing it now," and part of the very reason it is their most played campaign setting is because its the one they are choosing to focus on in the first place.

Its cyclical thinking and because these polls do ask "What are you playing now?" And not "What campaign setting would you love for us to focus on because its the one you actually want to play?," which would most likely give different percentages because what people want and what they may be playing now is two very different things.

WotC has focused on the Realms as their main setting for a while now. Its the only setting to get real support. Of course its going to be the most played setting. Its the one we see on the shelves now. Heck, they took greyhawk adventures and mashed them into the Realms.

JohnLynch

Explorer
That argument only holds so much weight. All those people playing homebrew? They could be playing Eberron or Greyhawk, but they're not. WotC have 2 editions worth of data where they supported multiple settings. I'm pretty sure they know what sells and how much of it they can get away with selling.

aramis erak

Legend
If there were an official conversion for 5E, I'd prefer to use Mystara. I use the realms only because I run an AL game. I'm using homebrew because my home group expected it, as it keeps them from looking up setting knowledge.

Uchawi

First Post
The problem with any of the poles is what homebrew means. So technically you are either playing FR officially through 5E, or a homebrew. I am guessing most DMs just get buy with a good map and make the rest up, including a story arch that makes references to cities and/or places on the map.

tgmoore

Explorer
My D&D 5E campaign that I run is straight canon Greyhawk, I have had great fun converting and finding others conversions of classic 1st Ed. AD&D adventures. I play in two weekly online B/X games one is homebrewed the other is Ravenloft. Not a big fan of the magic saturated FR setting. Magic is so common it is used in lieu of technology.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads