• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Which D&D Words and Things are Post 1608?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
It's more realistic than "sees in the dark". And more interesting. There are a lot of different ways to see in the dark, and different ways to counter it.
Lol. More realistic is the opposite of fantastic. So, I don't know where you were going with that.

And maybe infravision may be more interesting to you, but to me it's immersion-breaking having elves and other fantasy species have Predator-vision.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Lol. More realistic is the opposite of fantastic. So, I don't know where you were going with that.

And maybe infravision may be more interesting to you, but to me it's immersion-breaking having elves and other fantasy species have Predator-vision.
Elves don't have infravision. Dwarves and other underground-dwelling species do.

Elves and other forest-y surface folk tend toward ultravision.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Elves don't have infravision. Dwarves and other underground-dwelling species do.

To not derail this thread... moved some vision things to:

where I start by throwing out five suggestions of my own.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Huh. My 1e, (and 2e) PHB and my BECMI sets say otherwise. None of the species in those sources had Ultravision.

1670287993222.png

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Huh. My 1e, (and 2e) PHB and my BECMI sets say otherwise. None of the species in those sources had Ultravision.

View attachment 268869
Ultravision list... (did not check for accuracy):

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Ultravision list... (did not check for accuracy):

Right, I was limiting it to the player-facing species in 1e/2e/BECMI.

So, by that argument, we should also not have gravity in the game, since it wasn't discovered in 1608.

Remove ads