• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Demon Lord(s) are associated with orcs

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
Both my D&D lore and my google-fu are failing me. Do any of the known demon lords have established relationships with orcs? Obviously I need to know for my tribe of demon-worshipping orcs.

Thanks
Brian

Wolfskin

Explorer
I don't think orcs associate with demon lords that much- they have their own pantheon of evil gods, but they're not demons.

If I had to a tribe of orcs trucking with a demon lord, though, I'd go with Orcus- just for the sake of the pun :p

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
In FR, orcs have been associated with tanar'ri in the past. Tanarukks were orcs whose blood had been tainted by an evil outsider, in many cases a tanar'ri demon. They originated as orc-demon crossbreeds in the region around Hellgate Keep.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tanarukk

Tanarukk.jpg

Pretty much Orcs tend to focus on the Orc God Gruumsh and others of the Orc Pantheon. If you want them to worship a Demon Lord there are a lot of choices, but I can't think of any that really work for the Orcs. It would probably be easier to say that Gruumsh has some Demon Servants.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This is the problem with all the "lore" that has been dumped on D&D...I think demon worshiping orcs are much cooler then Gruumsh worshiping ones.

Klaus

First Post
Any reason why Gruumsh couldn't be considered a Demon Lord? He *is* CE now.

Rappan Athuk had Orcus-worshipping orcs.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This is the problem with all the "lore" that has been dumped on D&D...I think demon worshiping orcs are much cooler then Gruumsh worshiping ones.

It's kind of academic, no? Evil God vs. Evil Demon Lord only really matters if you care about the "lore" on a deep level anyway, so for most games, who is to say that Gruumsh isn't a Demon Lord? As far as the PC's and the world is concerned, would that fine distinction really matter?

Remove ads