• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Essentials class do you like the most?

Falcon42

First Post
the only E class that has interested me is the Bladesinger, and I got to play one at Neverwinter game day. Absolutely a blast to play, flavor wise, and held it's own at 1st level. Looking forward to playing it again.

Istar

First Post
Essentials ruined 4e and I dont like it as its so limiting as to what you can do.
There is no creative power in them.

Okay happy !!

Mod Edit: Someone apparently didn't pay enough attention. From the OP: "This thread isn't about how Essentials ruined 4e." Let's keep this on-track, shall we?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I bought the two basic heroes books and have not dome much more than flip through them, reading some parts, but the one that seems the most interesting is the Warlocks with their hexblades, or whatever the summoned weapons are called.

tiornys

Explorer
My answer has the caveat that it wouldn't be true if the E-classes existed on their own, because in most cases I look at an E-class and say to myself something similar to, "hey, there's some cool stuff there that the Knight gets--but I'd still rather play a Fighter (i.e. Weaponmaster) given a choice."

So, with that in mind, my favorite E-class is the Hexblade, followed closely by the Cavalier, because those are the E-classes where I'm about as happy with various E-builds as with the parent class. (And yes, I really do like Arcanist better than Mage--at least in terms of abilities. The name "Arcanist", on the other hand....)

t~

brehobit

Explorer
I've got to say that I'm not horribly impressed with the essentials classes *by themselves*. I think they are a bit bland. But the classes combined with the other classes are way cool.

Sentinel is probably my favorite, and a great example of why. I find that selecting their one at-will the listed choices keep him in melee (poorly). Also I find the paragon path to be a bit light. But taking a druid at-will makes it much more interesting, moving it up to perhaps my 2nd favorite class in the game (weaponmaster is still first).

Hunter comes a close second. Just well implemented and doesn't really need much outside of the essentials until paragon (I _really_ don't need yet another disrupting shot and the seeker-cheese at paragon keeps the class competitive IMO). But at heroic is is actually okay on it's own.

The knight is good at lower levels, I'd have to see higher levels in play, but it _looks_ too weak. Still a fun class though, but really wants better utilities (which it gets via the weaponmaster). And it has a paragon path I'd actually take.

The thief is a solid striker. Again, you really would like the d8 back stab damage and a few other feats from the PH, but...

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
I haven't gotten a chance to play or see in play any of them, let alone have I seen the Bladesinger.

But I recall that the ones that impressed me the most out of the gate were the Blackguard, Warpriest, Thief and the Scout.

I actually haven't sat down to look at the Mage. Looking forward to Heroes of the Feywild.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I freaking LOVE the Essentials Mage. For me, the original Wizard just didn't hit the mark. But the Essentials Mage is pretty much everything I could want from a Wizard/Mage class.
I wasn't as unimpressed with the Wizard as you were, but I did miss schools and wasn't really jazzed about implement mastery. The Mage is the only Essentials class that still feels like a full-fledged class, and a damn effective one, at that; easy to optimize, too. If I must play an E-class, Mage is the only real choice.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Summer Sentinel druid. Staff with 10' reach and 1d12 damage? With shillelagh daily, knocks prone on a hit? AND a bear? So much fun I sometimes forget I'm supposed to be a healing class.

Remove ads