• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which fighter shall I choose?

Wicht

Hero
A child born of rape and raised by his mother will hate his own father...

I would go with 2. Though why should a paladin continually lie about where he is from? That seems very unpaladinly, especially if its such an obvious lie. The traditional answer would be for him to wear armor unblazoned with signets or crests (or somehow cover his crests - say with a cloth) and refuse to say where he is from. That way there is no actual lie involved.

Donthor

First Post
Thanks for advice, new additions and changes, see if you like them:

Thanks for all the replies. I think Wight is right, I'll change the dwarf to cover his crests with cloth and when asked, he'll give the name adopted by his family. So he will never lie, but will not be telling the whole truth. The crest is only slightly changed from the orginal crest of the lost clan, but only a trained eye with knowledge of his clan can spot it and press for the truth.

I also understand the problem of the 1/2 orc being meant to hate his father. This had been dealt with but I forgot to add it in (the DM asked the same question):

Although raped, his mother did survive the rade by the fathers clan. Orginally the family and village wanted to kill the half breed out of principle. However due to his amazing stregth and abilites, he helped the village out in times of need. He slowly became accepted by the village and treated as an asset and even became considered a blessing after he saved a few of the villages from certain death (something like a house fire or something similar along those lines: this is still to be hashed out). After his mother died from disease, he grew fond of the humans who become fond of him.
He did not only survive the attack by his fathers clan, but was actually taken prisiner. He was then ID'ed and much debate followed. Although he hatged his father and the clan, he felt drawn to them through his orcish blood. He never liked his father but somehow felt at home in the orc lands. The instinct to survive toke over and he learnt to fight in order to live. He always felt out of place and never really fully fitted in. The only real thing he had left was his father (after much of his former family was killed by disease. After his fathers death, he became lost and confused. The only thing that he could think of, was to seek revenge.

Kaag just want somehow to fit in, to call someone friend, like in the days with his mother. But he is always wary due to the time with his father.

reapersaurus

Explorer
I'm personally sick to death of the "Half-orc PC as a child of rape" cop-out, but that's just me because I have strong beliefs about half-orcs being a playable race.

I agree with the others that Kreeg is a good choice IF you changed the story - way too "unbelievable", and unlike some people believability is important to me personally.

The problem with the Dwarven Paladin is the stats.
With a CHA of 13, there's really no rules-based reason to play a paladin.
Just play a multiclassed fighter/cleric, or just a Lawful Good fighter with a personal code.

dogchild

First Post
reapersaurus said:
I'm personally sick to death of the "Half-orc PC as a child of rape" cop-out, but that's just me because I have strong beliefs about half-orcs being a playable race.

I agree with the others that Kreeg is a good choice IF you changed the story - way too "unbelievable", and unlike some people believability is important to me personally.

The problem with the Dwarven Paladin is the stats.
With a CHA of 13, there's really no rules-based reason to play a paladin.
Just play a multiclassed fighter/cleric, or just a Lawful Good fighter with a personal code.

Even though D&D shouldn't always be about "min-maxing", Reaper's right. The stats you have, though high, suck for a Paladin. Think CHA first and foremost, then STR, WIS, CON, DEX, and INT in that order.

If you don't want to play a "stereotypical character" think about this: people tend to do things that they're good at. Why would the dwarf choose to be a Paladin if he didn't have very good CHA?

My two cents.

All in all, I think the Dwarf is the more likeable character.

Terry Wogan

First Post

Why would the dwarf choose to be a Paladin if he didn't have very good CHA?

people dont choose to be paladins, they ARe chosen themselves, admittedly the most charismatic would probably be chosen but i just thought i would add this in.

i also like the dwarf better, maybe just because i wish half-orcs were the victim of a genocide attempt by the drow or somebody.

mseds99

First Post
I vote for the half-orc.

The paladin has a more interesting backround, but I find that the Paladin to be painful to role-play. But if you dig them, I would recommend the dwarf character.

Remove ads