• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which game would you recommend?

THE FACTS:

My group has been playing 4e dnd. It's too much like a skirmish game for us. It's like hero clix with too many rules. We like the character customization a whole bunch.
Based only on this quote, I'd recommend Hero or GURPS.

Which game would you recommend?
3.5 dnd, pathfinder, rogue trader, warhammer fantasy 2e, or that savage adventures thing...
Out of this list I'd pick Pathfinder or recommend Castles and Crusades.

We're basically looking for a game that's not based solely on combat (4e) and that's not looking up rules every five minutes (dnd 2e)
This makes me want to recommend RISUS as combat in RISUS can never last over 5-10 minutes and with it's 6 page rulebook, you shouldn't be looking stuff up too often. Character customization in RISUS is all based on language idiom so that's somewhat infinite right there. Perfect fit if you can find a group of players that can grok RISUS. Understanding RISUS is the big hurdle.

thastygliax

First Post
Here's my 0.02 Basic Units of Currency, in no particular order:

True20: A streamlined d20 variant that shares many mechanics with Mutants & Masterminds. Characters can be customized easily and with fewer rules than in D&D. The only part of the rules that might take a while to get used to is damage, which is not quite as clear & simple as I'd like. (I've had a couple articles published for the system, but haven't had much chance to actually play it.)

Earthdawn: I love the system and world (and I finally get to play again, now that my wife is starting up a game!), but the learning curve can be a little steep at first due to the unusual dice mechanics. It has some of the same feel as D&D, with races & classes & levels, but how you use those XP to advance is handled very differently, and it has its own distinct flavor of magic.

Call of Cthulhu: Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying system is fairly simple, using %-based skill rolls for everything. CoC (the only version I've tried) is easy to customize skills-wise, but there's not many other character options (unless you acquire some spells and/or insanity). Pagan Publishing's Delta Green setting is the best treatment I've seen of the modern-day Cthulhu Mythos, casting the PCs as law enforcement types who have legitimate reasons for getting involved and carrying all those guns. ;)

Cinematic Unisystem: Largely point-based character creation and simple mechanics make Buffy, Angel, and Army of Darkness fun and easy to play (and fully compatible with each other), whether you're using the canonical setting or not. These games acknowledge the power disparity between Slayers and Scoobies, but the Drama Point system helps alleviate that somewhat. (An all-Hero game is a viable alternative as well.)

GURPS: I've run 3E and own 4E. In both editions, the basic mechanics of are fairly simple, and allow play in any genre(s). Character creation is extremely flexible, enough so that new players can get lost in the sheer volume of choices. I'd highly recommend trying GURPS Lite first--it has the basic mechanics and a solid selection of character options, and you can add more complexity later with the fully-compatible Basic Set and various supplements.

BESM: I've run both 2E and 3E, and prefer the latter (better point balance and more defined customization). It's one of the more rules-light games out there, without sacrificing the ability to fine-tune characters, and it handles a variety of genres well, which is why it's my system of choice at the moment. (GURPS used to be, once upon a time, but BESM does many of the same things more simply.)

...But whatever you do, don't pick Hero System! Our group is new to it except for the GM of our upcoming supers game, but the arcane mechanics and math are giving us all headaches--and that's just char-gen. :erm:

Remove ads