• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which individual AP "issues" make good stand alone adventures?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Spun off from my "More stand alone adventures" thread, I was wondering: based on experience, which of the 30-odd "issues" (volumes?) of the Pathfinder APs can be used fairly easily as good stand alone adventures?

As an aside, which ones have extra awesome associated materials -- rules, locations, NPCs, monsters, etc..?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The first installment of Legacy of Fire ends with the PC's being set up in a house in a newly revitalized trading center. From there you could easily take them in a number of different ways outside of the AP proper.

I don't know much about Paizo's stand alone stuff, so I'm uncertain if there are other published adventures in the area.

haus48

Explorer
Souls for smuggler's shiv has an interesting NPC section and the island could easily be a stand alone adventure. I would change the set up a little though with the players being hired to investigate the hauntings of the island, dropped off, then after they land the ship has its "accident" stranding them.

The impossible eye and the end of eternity can both work as stand alone adventures since they are both planar hops which start and stop with the players getting trapped and finding they way out. I like the End of eternity a little better of the two.

I would second howl of the carrion king as a good start up adventure that does not require continuing on the adventure path.

I feel that Shadow in the sky and Children of the Void work better as stand alones than they do with setting up the rest of the second darkness adventure path.

Skeletons of scarwall is actually a great dungeon crawl and would work great as a stand alone adventure.

Burnt offerings can be used as a stand alone to start up a campaign.

Finally fortress of the stone giants and sins of the saviors are more self contained dungeon crawls.

Most of the Kingmaker AP can be run stand-alone. The whole thing is a sandbox, so the individual issues work without the other bits attached. Varnhold Vanishing has a cool adventure about a town that has disappeared that could be popped into any campaign without much work.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings. Protect a town from goblins and find out what's got them moving around.

Second Darkness: Children of the void: Go gather starmetal on an island struck by a fallen meteor! Oh crap, it was full of weird monsters. Oh super crap, there are drow here too!

Most of the AP's first two or three adventures can be run independent of the whole thing.

joebobodo

Explorer
The Sixfold Trial from the Council of Thieves Adventure Path is a really fun, original, and innovative adventure that could pretty easily be adapted into a standalone adventure or inserted into an ongoing campaign. The concept of the PCs as actors in a play to infiltrate and gain easy access to the Mayor's mansion is really fun, and the play itself is out of this world. All you'd really have to do to adapt it is alter what the PCs are looking for within the mansion's vaults.

IronWolf

blank
The first installment of Legacy of Fire ends with the PC's being set up in a house in a newly revitalized trading center. From there you could easily take them in a number of different ways outside of the AP proper.

I would recommend this one as well as being able to be played relatively stand alone.

Most of the Kingmaker AP can be run stand-alone. The whole thing is a sandbox, so the individual issues work without the other bits attached. Varnhold Vanishing has a cool adventure about a town that has disappeared that could be popped into any campaign without much work.

There is all sorts of stuff that could be swiped from the Kingmaker AP and dropped into some other campaign. Lots of site based encounters and decent chunks that could be taken and used elsewhere.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
There is all sorts of stuff that could be swiped from the Kingmaker AP and dropped into some other campaign. Lots of site based encounters and decent chunks that could be taken and used elsewhere.

I started subscribing with Kingmaker so I have all these, and they are indeed infinitely minable due to the nature of the campaign. However, i was thinking more full fledged adventures in the form of chapters of previous APs. Obviously, it makes sense that the initial entries in each AP would be easy to make "stand alone" but later chapters might not.

Also, my PCs are currently about to make 10th level (using slow advancement, so they will be there fore a while) if that informs any suggestions.

In the end, though, i am likely to try and collect them all, so...

Remove ads