• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is the "Best" Ninja?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Hmm. Maybe so in the USA. But typical Japanese Comic (or TV show) Ninja wears chain shirt under his/her black suit or other costume.

Can't tell. I don't watch many japanese TV shows. Or US TV shows. (Though I think that nowadays we have as many animated series from asia here as ones from america. Maybe even more). Or TV at all. It's just that when I see a ninja in my mind's eye, he doesn't wear armor of any sort

Hm... did they even use chain mail in japan back then?

Shin Okada

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
Hm... did they even use chain mail in japan back then?

Well, if we talk about "historical accuracy" or something, that famous "black ninja suit" never actually existed outside stages. That black suit was a kind of Kabuki costume to indicate something "invisible".

Regarding chain shirt in Japan. In Japan, chainmails was a rather new "invention". Thick and heavy chainmail, like those of European crusaders were never existed. But chain shirt were made and used underneath usual armor (in war), or under ordinary clothes (in city fight and such).

But anyway, chain shirt wearing ninja is a kind of "tradition" in Japanese comic.

Also, the Japanese put their mail together differently than Europeans did.

Japanese mail was generally hexagonal or triangular, with a central, flat ring connected to other central, flat rings with oblong or circular joining rings, placed at ~90 degrees to the central rings.

Thus, the piece looks very different from the "in rows" mail used in Europe.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Personally I like to go monk1/rogue5/shadowdancer1/assassin x (and for those above 17th level some levels of sorcerer, wizard or psychic warrior might be appropriate)

That would cover nicely most of what I consider a ninja's capabilities.

Gez

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Nah. Not nearly over-the-top enough. This looks almost playable. Plus, there should be a "real ultimate power" class feature in there.

I gave them a Hippo mount in addition to the rest. Like a paladin's mount, except it's a hippo rather than a warhorse.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Might be a good idea to take Ninja real ultimate power "humour" into another thread - it is getting a bit tired now and it reduces the likelihood that Dareoon will get serious answers to his question, which is what he was after.

Thanks

Bernardus

First Post
Dareoon Dalandrove said:
As far as I know there are currently 3 ninjas out. One in OA, which is a prestige class, one in Complete Adveturer and one in Rokugan. These three feature the name "ninja" that's why I've chosen them. I'm sure that there are other classes that could/do fill the "ninja" void and would like to here what your using to fill this roll, but which "ninja" is the most "ninja" like. The Iconic Ninja if you will.

I'm sorry, but I only know the Complete Adventurer Ninja.
The one in OA I can't remember, but I have the book.
I think the Ninja class in Complete Adventurer is a good one, I'm not saying it's the best, but it will do.

Originally the Ninja's were sneaky bastards, they were hired to spy or to assasinate someone. Also there family (clan) would come first and the government second. Most ninja's were trained form an early age and they lived secretly in mountain villages or forest areas. The were tought to be one with nature, so that they could hide in plain sight in most areas. Ninja's who were on a mission to kill someone, would first investigate the target and it's surroundings first. After the ninja was familiar with the routine of it's victim it would go in for the kill.

Maybe you think I'm to serious, but I want the correct picture to be known.

Hope this answers your question a bit Dareoon Dalandrove.

Greetings

Bernardus

Remove ads