• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which item should I buy or make?

Rpjunkie

First Post
5th level cleric with scrib scroll feat; magic and death domains, and 4k in gold. What item or items should I buy or make that would help me out. My AC is already 24 with my shield and armour so i dont need any AC items at this point. Thanks

RPJ

Dursk Starkfire

First Post
karma beads

if you have the craft wondrous items feat, then you could make yourself a bead of karma (list price is 5k)
otherwise, a periapt of wisdom+2 is 4k
phylactory of faithfulness is always good (1K) as is candle of truth (depending on what type of cleric you are)...

strongbow

First Post
The Necklace of Prayer Beads, which is the base necklace for the Bead of Karma, requires Gate as a pre-requisite spell. Sorry. The Bead of Karma is arguably the best magic item for its price, but out of range for a 5th level cleric.

Some Old Favorites: Market Price
Cloak of Resistance +1 1000
Pearls of Power (1st) 1000
Boots of Striding & Springing 6000 (Errated price)

If you can custom build your magic items, using the standard forumulas, the sky is the limit. What is allowed in your campaign?

LOL yes your original post does say only scribe scroll. I looked at the 2nd post.

Last edited:

Rpjunkie

First Post
I can make anything using the rules in the DMG even custom. I am thinking about the pearl of power. I just dont have any crafting feats except scroll right now. I think wonderous item will be next though. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

RPJ

Shallown

First Post
The standard backup scrolls for a cleric.

Lesser restoration, dispel magic, any buff spells, and some curatives.

I like to have those spells that are useful but not ones I would normally pray for. Clerics and arcane caster's have a ton of these, just look for things that would be second choice or that don't quite make your prayed for spell list and those things useful outside of combat. Wands are best for cure spells or anything you use more than say 2 times a session everything else have a scroll for it.

Also A wand of CLW or CMW is always useful and in your price range.

Later

Nail

First Post
Shallown said:
The standard backup scrolls for a cleric.

Lesser restoration, dispel magic, any buff spells, and some curatives.

Y'may want to skip the buff spells, and go instead for the "emergency" type spells. Buff spells are the ones your likely to want to customize, day to day, depending on your party's needs. Those and th' direct damage or hold-types spells should be your bread-and-butter.

Shallown's other spells on th' list look great. Also try
  • Comprehend Languages (this depends on th' type of campaign you're in..will you need this one in a hurry?...depends....),
  • Calm Emotions (if you run into raging barbarians only occasionally),
  • Negative Energy Protection (just in case you don't have it when you need it....)
  • Remove Paralysis (always useful, esp. for that poor held fighter, and
  • Remove Disease (unless you often carry this anyway),

The point is to put into scrolls spells that you seldom use or have memorized, but that you might really need in a pinch. Stuff you wouldn't have time to rest-prep-and gain next day.

Shallown

First Post
Nail has it hit it write on the head with his spell list. The only reason I choose Buffs is that having one or two of each helps when hit by a dispel or becuase you are low level they don't last all day yet, so you may end up needing them again after they fade. Also if you don't end up using them when you do get to the point of buffs lasting all day use them on cohorts or NPC companions.

But then again perhaps this is a persoanl thing. Been dispelled one too many times and lost many important buffs.

Later

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads