• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Which name do you prefer.

What name do you prefer for a setting.

• Primeval

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Erebos

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Primordial

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Tartarus

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Gaia

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Theogonia

Votes: 10 24.4%

Razjah

Explorer
I thought Erebos was the best, so I voted for it. Then I read the posts. It does still feel like the best name to me, but I think you may want to go with something else.

Primeval and Primordial often make people think of primitive cultures or huge thriving wilds, not the best here.
Tartarus already has a clearly defined meaning, same with Gaia- these don't work well either.

I don't like Theogonia, is just doesn't have the right ring to it. Does your setting require a Greek inspired name?

Madnick

Explorer
Thanks for the responses guys!
the reason we are going with a Greek inspired name is that most of the players of the initial campaign are Greeks so it makes sense to use a name that sounds good but also have roots to our birthplace.
Our goal is to use a name that would intrigue people at first.Then we want them to research it and realise it has a secret meaning that connects it to the world.So not just any English word that you might have heard before but an new word that it would mobilize you to look around for the possibilities of alternate meanings!And the majority of the choices of the poll have this exact meaning.

Madnick

Explorer
Well as i said a couple of posts back the world that was created from the destruction of the old is based on darkness due to the destruction of the ordinary sun.By default this makes the world more dangerous and more difficult to live in.It will be a low magic setting with mostly struggling to create a stable environment initially to sustain the population and secondary to evolve in as many departments as possible.Excluding all the horrors that lurk in the darkness the setting is polluted by many power hungry people that find this ''restart'' of the world a one in a life time opportunity to take advantage of the situation and gain power and wealth.This is a small addition to the previews post i made explaining a little bit more about the world.

Li Shenron

Legend
I also voted "Erebos", which to me sounds "dark with points of light ahead" :)

That's what I get from your description, a world where most people probably see only darkness, except a few heroes who see it as an opportunity to recreate a new civilization.

"Gaia" and "Theogonia" to me sounds too positive, while "Primeval" and "Primordial" IMO are more appropriate for a world that is really starting for the first time rather than re-starting (unless everyone is unaware that there was a time before). "Tartarus" is associated to a specific "prison" theme, which is not completely off but maybe too specific for your case.

ErrantX

Explorer
Well, to vote on a setting name, we'd need to know more about the setting in general to give it a good vote. Is there info posted anywhere or is there a brief rundown of it you can share?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads