• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which non-core monsters should have been core?

Li Shenron

Legend
I think there are a few monsters from various books which would have fit very well inside the core Monster Manual. At least the following IMHO should have been core:

the Dracolich (from Draconomicon)
the Banshee (from MM2)
the Genasi and the Revenant (from Monsters of Faerun)
the Paraelementals (from MotP)

plus the Element and the Shadow templates (from MotP)

There are of course others that are very nice, but these are the ones which IMO are generic and popular enough to fit basically in every setting. So what do you think should have been in the core MM (try to restrict yourself to no more than 10-12...)?

Don't just mention something only because it's your favourite monster, think that if it was core it would be a somewhat common creature in potentially every game. For instance, I myself like a lot using Demons & Devils, but I also think there are none of the non-core fiends which should necessarily have been part of the core.

Rystil Arden

First Post
They may not be generic and popular, but I think the Weirds from MM2 should have been core, just because they fit into a great niche, an interesting otherworldly creature that can provide an enticing roleplaying encounter for adventurers seeking some bit of lost lore.

the Jester

Legend
There are a couple of monsters that got left out that should have been in the core MM imho. Modrons being one of them. (What's up with the anti-modron hate in 3e anyhow?) I also think the intellect devourer should be in the core MM- it was in 1e, and in the (full color!) Monstrous Manual in 2e as well. I would have loved to have seen sons (now spawn) of Kyuss in the core MM, too; they've been my favorite undead forever. And what about the yeti?

It's a travesty that crap like tonjanida is in the Monster Manual when some real core critters are missing. This is, of course, completely a matter of opinion and you are completely entitled to disagree with me.

the Jester said:
(What's up with the anti-modron hate in 3e anyhow?)

Hey, let's be fair. Some of us have hated modrons since long before 3E came out. :]

As for myself? I'd have liked to have seen the intellect devourer, but at the same time, I understand why they waited for the Psionic's Handbook--psionics are pretty integral to that critter. And I agree that the spawn of Kyuss are cool, though one could potentially argue that the MM's got a sufficiency of undead.

Personally? I'd like to have seen the grell. And I'm still miffed that the real water weird never got officially translated to 3E, though I offer many props to Necromancer for bringing it back in the guise of the drench. :)

I'm sure there are others, but I'm blanking at the moment.

BWP

Explorer
Pretty much any of the critters in the Forgotten Realms books that used to be in the 1st ed. "core" monster books. I never understood why a lot of "core" creatures suddenly got dumped into FR as their "home" when 2e was published; 3e should have put them right back where they came from.

Li Shenron

Legend
the Jester said:
It's a travesty that crap like tonjanida is in the Monster Manual when some real core critters are missing.

Yeah, some new weird creatures seem like they were added just to be able to say that they were brand-new-3rd edition-only monsters.

Remove ads